We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Speeding fine 7 weeks later
I got a notice through the post today (dated 3rd March) for a speeding offence that I committed on the 18th January.
I'm not denying it was me because it blatently was, but I was under the impression that they had 2 weeks with which to serve the notice?
This is my first ever one since I got my license in 2001, and I was just over the threshold so will get the speed awareness course, but is there any way I can get out of it by contesting the time it took them to send me the notice? Anything to save me some money..!
I moved house the weekend that it happened, and sent my change of address in to the DVLA on the 19th and my V5 came back in three days, so presumably N Yorks would know that I'd changed my address by the time they'd processed it. There was nothing sent to my old address (I have my mail forwarded) and so it has actually taken them this long to send me the notice!
I'm not denying it was me because it blatently was, but I was under the impression that they had 2 weeks with which to serve the notice?
This is my first ever one since I got my license in 2001, and I was just over the threshold so will get the speed awareness course, but is there any way I can get out of it by contesting the time it took them to send me the notice? Anything to save me some money..!
I moved house the weekend that it happened, and sent my change of address in to the DVLA on the 19th and my V5 came back in three days, so presumably N Yorks would know that I'd changed my address by the time they'd processed it. There was nothing sent to my old address (I have my mail forwarded) and so it has actually taken them this long to send me the notice!
0
Comments
-
Probably sent to the old address. They will probably have deemed it served correctly.
The address on the day and the day after was the old one so it most likely went there. I think saying it took 7 weeks wont work in this case.Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...0 -
I'm guessing that if you moved that weekend it could be that the original notice was sent to your old address, as it will probably take DVLA a few days to update their records which depending on the speed at which the original NIP was sent out could mean they sent it before the update.
As forgotmyname says it'll probably count as having been served correctly, as long as the first one was sent out within the first 14 days.0 -
If it was originally sent to the old address then why would they send another to the new address weeks later, unless the original was returned.
OP, what exactly have you received in the post? How were you caught speeding - camera or were you stopped?0 -
Pepipoo is the best place to post this.0
-
If it was originally sent to the old address then why would they send another to the new address weeks later, unless the original was returned.
Perhaps they check the address held by the DVLA for every item sent just in case the recipient has moved since the previous one was sent - as was the case here.
If the OP had a RM redirection in place that started on the date they moved then they would have got a letter sent to the old address, but we don't know if they did so we have no idea where the first letter went, if there was one.0 -
Sounds like it was sent to the old address, sat there for a while and returned.. Then reissued to the new address?0
-
I don't know exactly how they send out speeding notices etc, but perhaps it's like my local council.
Their envelopes are clearly marked 'Do NOT redirect - Return to sender.'
I moved recently and several letters from the Council did not arrive, despite me having paid Royal Mail to redirect everything.
I only discovered the 'no redirect' but when I phoned them about it.0 -
How long the police have to issue a speeding notice
The police must serve an NIP within 14 days of the alleged speeding offence, but there are some circumstances in which the notice will still stand even if it's served later than this, for example:- if extra time is needed for the police to act with 'reasonable diligence' to find out who the registered keeper is and how to contact them; or
- if the delay was the driver’s fault, for example because they have not told the DVLA of a recent change of address.
“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
― Groucho Marx0 -
OP, the first NIP will have been sent to the address shown on the DVLA database on the date of the offence, i.e. your old address.
Whether that was returned undelivered, or got lost, doesn't really matter. There is no time limit for any subsequent NIPs0 -
OP, if they have offered you a speed awareness course, just accept and go along. Some cost and inconvenience, but no points on your licence and you might learn something! All in all, a lot less hassle than trying to wiggle out of something which you acknowledge that you are guilty of.If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

