IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UK Parking Patrol office PCN Help Wanted

Options

Hi

I am looking for some help.I am in the middle of going through the forums at the moment but I’d thought that I’d put this up.I received a letter from the UK Parking Patrol Office:

“Dear xxxx,

We have issued a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) xxxxxx to your vehicle because it was observed on the (date) at 06.01 in breach of the byelaws at 1315 – Roads surrounding Newcastle Airport,Woolsington that we are authorised to enforce. The byelaws are clearly set out on the signage installed within the area.By contravening these byelaws the registered keep is liable to pay a penalty charge.

A discount charge of £60 applies if this Penalty Charge Notice is paid within 14 days of issue. If you choose to not pay at this amount, the full value of £100.00 will be due.

We have requested your details from DVLA as the registered keeper of the vehicle, through Reasonable Cause criteria of pursuing an outstanding penalty charge.The reason we issued a PCN to the vehicle is as follows: 6.3 – Parking in Prohibited Area

We now request this amount is paid using one of the payment methods described overleaf. If within 28 days we have not received full payment, the case will then be passed to our Debt Recovery Agent which may escalate to court proceedings to recover the amount owed. The overdue charge will increase to £150.00 in the first instance of further action.”

There are also 2 pictures, one showing the car from a distance, taken at 06.02, with warning signs in near where the car had stopped. The other picture was taken from a roundabout camera at 06.03, showing the car registration plate.The road going into that part of the airport leads to the car rentals companies but the barrier was down and the car had been turned in the road to go back but stopped to drop someone off.Also at that time in the morning the roads were very quiet with hardly any cars around.

I did not park the car there.I understand that it’s best to appeal and also about not mitigating circumstances.There is information on the back with regards to appealing the charge but it also states:

“Unlike a private parking charge notice issued under the Protection of Freedoms Act, this is a fine and under the Byelaws 3.3.1 the registered keeper is immediately held liable for the sum due.”

I’m sure it’s just the way they’ve used the wording but I would like to double check if I can appeal and also what points I should cover? One point that has come across is the pre-estimate of financial loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The usual pack of lies. Does it mention PoPLA in the letter somewhere?
    Je suis Charlie.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    The usual pack of lies. Does it mention PoPLA in the letter somewhere?

Yes, did you not read the OP? If so, did you miss this bit?

“Unlike a private parking charge notice issued under the Protection of Freedoms Act, this is a fine and under the Byelaws 3.3.1 the registered keeper is immediately held liable for the sum due.”
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Yes, did you not read the OP? If so, did you miss this bit?

I'm struggling to see a reference to POPLA in that quote. Maybe I need to go to Specsavers.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a clearly fraudulent attempt at extortion as UKPP know very well that bylaws apply so this is not relevant land so cannot invoke POFA 2012 keeper liability. Just appeal as the RK & it will be upheld at POPLA.

Here is a copy of the bylaws.
    http://www.newcastleairport.com/Media/about-your-airport/newcastle-airport-byelaws-2009-v2.pdf
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    UKPP are using the same tactics as Meteor & NCP at railways stations where bylaws also apply. They threaten bylaw prosecution if you don't pay a bribe to the PPC.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ManxRed wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see a reference to POPLA in that quote. Maybe I need to go to Specsavers.

Likewise, which is why I asked. And I just have been to Specsavers.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    This is a clearly fraudulent attempt at extortion as UKPP know very well that bylaws apply so this is not relevant land so cannot invoke POFA 2012 keeper liability. Just appeal as the RK & it will be upheld at POPLA.

Here is a copy of the bylaws.
    http://www.newcastleairport.com/Media/about-your-airport/newcastle-airport-byelaws-2009-v2.pdf

The byelaws include what might be construed as a half-baked attempt at making the keeper liable, but as far as I can see they fail miserably.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Jinx_001
    Jinx_001 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

Thank you for your replies. Yes, there is information on the back of the letter about appealing and POPLA
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    ManxRed wrote: »

Indeed, my mistake, sorry Mr B.

WRT to Specsavers, beware of upselling

http://www.grumpieroldmen.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32097&p=517947&hilit=specsavers#p517947
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Jinx_001
    Jinx_001 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Aside from the point about no pre-estimated financial loss, what other points should I include in the appeal?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure