PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please help....marmalade

Can someone please point me in the right direction of a marmalade recipe that is SUPER easy, won't take me long and can be achieved without a food processor?

Thank you:j

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you would need to use tinned seville oranges now, which is fine of course. You can buy them in Tesco's so I should imagine other supermarkets sell them. As for the receipe, I doubt these any difference in any you choose.
  • Steve059
    Steve059 Posts: 2,686 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 March 2015 at 2:38PM
    Another vote for the tinned Seville oranges. IMHO, it's just as good as using fresh oranges without all the hassle. It's currently £1.99 in ASDA, Morrisons & Tesco and £2.00 in Sainsbury's.

You'll need 1.8kg of sugar. 1kg bags are currently 49p in Poundstretcher, 59p in ASDA, 70p in Sainsbury's and 79p in Morrisons & Tesco. (According to Tesco's website, it's £2.37, but this is being corrected.)

The recipe is on the product information on the Tesco website. Basically, you put everything in a big pan and boil it.
    If you fold it in half, will an Audi A4 fit in a Citroen C5? :)
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    You put it *all* in a pan and boil it? Does this mean the tinned Seville Oranges have already had the peel softened? I use real oranges and have never used the tins. With real oranges, you need to soften the peel before adding the sugar (one cup sugar to one cup orange-and-water mixture after softened). I also prepare the oranges on a Saturday, putting all pips in a dish with 250ml water so that the pectin leeches out overnight, then cook the marmalade the next day.

Also, OP, do you know about the "two saucers in the frezer" trick? I do use a thermometer, but also bring out a saucer to test for the wrinkle factor that shows my marmalade is done.

When finished, and the oranges have been removed from the heat, I wait five or ten minutes, then add 60ml of whiskey to the mix.

Let us know how you go?
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family