We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Lawn mower vibration problem

Options
spaceboy
spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I bought a Hayter Envoy 36 electric lawn mower on ebay this week and i tried it yesterday. It seems to be vibrating quite a bit, you can really feel it through the handlebar. The manual says it could be the blade which is unbalanced and the blade does look like it needs replaced, I'm just wondering if it's worth spending £15 on a new blade and then finding that doesnt cure the problem? The mower is 10 years old.

Are there any other things which could cause it to vibrate too much?

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Blades is first thing to try. Anyone with a socket and file and half an idea of what to do could balance and sharpen the blade at the same time.

If it was my mower I'd fire it up after taking the blade off to be sure if wasnt a motor issue before servicing the blade.
  • spaceboy
    spaceboy Posts: 1,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Blades is first thing to try. Anyone with a socket and file and half an idea of what to do could balance and sharpen the blade at the same time.

If it was my mower I'd fire it up after taking the blade off to be sure if wasnt a motor issue before servicing the blade.

Yeah, the blade is off so I will try it without blade tomorrow. In the manual it says to check if the blade is balanced by putting a large screwdriver through the central hole and if it stays horizontal it is balanced and if one side drops down it isnt. I tried that and it stayed level.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure