🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Idiot ESA question.

Options
Sorry this is probably a stupid question but I can't call the job centre to clarify so I thought I'd ask here as I'm sure there's many people not as seemingly dim as I am.

I'm in receipt of ESA.

I received a letter today stating changes to the amount. It gives a break down of payment like this.

Your living expenses - £73.10

Extra Money because of the disability income guarantee - £15.75

Extra money because you are on the support group - £36.20

Which gives a total income-related amount - £125-05

Your income related amount is £125.05 less total income of £0

So your income related entitlement is £125.05

Then it gives the date of the changes.

The ESA goes into my bank Fortnightly.

So the question is, is this new changed amount what I will be receiving weekly or fortnightly?

I realise that probably sounds really stupid and I'm probably missing the part that explains it but since the money goes in every two weeks I'm not sure if the letter means this will now be my fortnightly payment and I'm now really panicking over it because ends don't really meet as it is. Of it it means this will be my new weekly payment that will continue to go in every two weeks.

So basically. Is the £125 weekly or fortnightly?

Sorry for the essay.
Sigless

Comments

• looby1975
    Options
    Thats the weekly amount, so every two weeks you will get a payment of £250.

I got the same letter (though with out the support group payment) you get one every year to inform you on the benefit rates for the next financial year.
    I'm not an AE I'm just an idiot who forgot to update email details, went away for a bit and then tried to come back after the old laptop died :o:rotfl:
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    looby1975 wrote: »
    Thats the weekly amount, so every two weeks you will get a payment of £250.

I got the same letter (though with out the support group payment) you get one every year to inform you on the benefit rates for the next financial year.

Thank you so much.

I had a vague recollection of past letters stating the fortnightly amount and since I've put them in a 'safe place' I obviously cant find them so couldn't check. And the way the letter was going on about appealing the decision etc made it seem like something awful was happening.

I've gotten myself in a right state worrying it meant that was the fortnightly amount. I often have no gas/electricity a few days before payment, losing £100 every two weeks would cripple me.

Anyway, thanks again. Really wish they'd just put 'weekly' on the breakdown,
    Sigless
  • looby1975
    Options
    You're welcome. I know that sick feeling of the dreaded brown envelope dropping through the letter box and then trying to make head or tail of what the letter is trying to say. They certainly don't make it easy.
    I'm not an AE I'm just an idiot who forgot to update email details, went away for a bit and then tried to come back after the old laptop died :o:rotfl:
  • bujin
    bujin Posts: 242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rev wrote: »
    And the way the letter was going on about appealing the decision etc made it seem like something awful was happening

The trouble is,the letters are a standard type sent to everyone in any letter connected to benefit, not really tailor made for each individual. Most Benefit letters have information about Appeals etc, so don't worry, they just send these letters out to give you notification of the new payments from April.
  • Rev
    Options
    looby1975 wrote: »
    You're welcome. I know that sick feeling of the dreaded brown envelope dropping through the letter box and then trying to make head or tail of what the letter is trying to say. They certainly don't make it easy.

I felt daft asking. Like it should be obvious to me. So again. Thanks for clarifying. I'm going to have a cuppa and calm down!
    Sigless
  • Rev
    Options
    bujin wrote: »
    The trouble is,the letters are a standard type sent to everyone in any letter connected to benefit, not really tailor made for each individual. Most Benefit letters have information about Appeals etc, so don't worry, they just send these letters out to give you notification of the new payments from April.

Thanks. I didn't know that! The payment layout letter was last so I was reading all this stuff about appealing etc thinking oh god this is going to be a sanction or something.

Phew!
    Sigless
  • JaneDoeJohnDoe
    Options
    Keep letter safe as it's proof of entitlement & the esa group you are in
  • Rev
    Options
    Keep letter safe as it's proof of entitlement & the esa group you are in

Thanks. Will do.
    Have put it in a folder with my house insurance documents etc.
    Sigless
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family