Landlord Cleaning Charge

Options
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this, apologies if it isn't!

I'm looking for some advice on my landlord wanting to charge me for cleaning the flat we've moved out of. Here's the deal:

We moved out of the flat on the 17th January and I handed the keys back to the landlord on the 2nd of February believing that the end of our tenancy was the 7th February.

As it turns out our contract runs to the 7th March so we're still liable for the flat even though we haven't lived there for over a month which is fine except, as I've handed the keys back already the landlord has carried out their inspection of the flat and wasn't happy with the cleanliness.

We have offered to go back to the flat and clean as we don't want a dispute over it and seeing as we're still responsible for the flat it seemed the most obvious solution, but, the landlord has refused to let us back in to clean and now wants to charge us for professional cleaning (which she has already booked for the 6th March, a day before the end of our tenancy).

I was wondering what your thoughts are on this - I found it a little unfair seeing as we're technically still the tenants that she wouldn't let us back in to clean despite us offering.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Probably better experienced people on the Housing board as technically this is about access to a flat that you still have a right to get(probably)
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • ERB20
    ERB20 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, where's the housing board? I totally missed that one! And yes technically, I think we're still supposed to have access to the flat.
  • ERB20
    ERB20 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Found it, I will post this in there. Thanks! And sorry for putting it in the wrong place!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    I'd suggest they can't have it both ways.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you clean it yourselves or use professionals? What does your contract say about end of tenancy? Most I've seen in recent years does explicitly require professional cleaning.

Most end of tenancy pro cleaners offer some form of "satisfaction guarantee" so that if your landlord isnt happy they'll go back and rectify the issues (assuming it is rectifiable and not actually damage). Did yours?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure