Non-standard terms

Hello

I'm hoping to buy my first house well I will be if I can get a mortgage and have attempted to take out various insurances to cover myself if the worst should happen.

I've been accepted but non-standard terms have been offered for the critical illness part. The terms state

'We will not pay a claim on diagnosis of Total Permanent Disability if it is directly or indirectly because of any disease or disorder of, or any injury to, the spine, it's intervertebral discs, joints, nerve roots, spinal cord or supporting musculature and ligaments and any neurological complications.'

Now this does not sound very good, I do have back problems after three car crashes and I do suffer from migraines. However these terms do seem to be rather extreme. If I was to have a stroke would I be covered? I really don't understand what in practice is not covered and I hope someone might have more experience and perhaps be able to explain it a little bit to me.

Thank you

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Stroke is covered under the critical illness cover.

Only total permanent disability cover claims for back problems are being excluded as you have a previous history of such issues and the insurer has no way of knowing if a future problem results from an existing condition.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • I was unsure if the neurological bit would prevent any brain related claims. Does this also mean that if I was to fall down some stairs and God forgive be paralysed I would not be covered?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I was unsure if the neurological bit would prevent any brain related claims.

Only for TPD claims.

Not for claims on the critical illness cover.

Think of it as two separate plans. One for critical illnesses on the list up to the required severity and another for TPD where you have to be both totally and permanently disabled to be able to claim.

It's only for claims on the latter your previous history has been taken into account and excluded.
    Does this also mean that if I was to fall down some stairs and God forgive be paralysed I would not be covered?
    If you were totally and permanently disabled as a result of an accident and the accident had nothing to do with your previous medial history a TPD claim would normally succeed.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure