Magnetic Charger for Sony Z3 Compact Phone

WLM21
WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I have just bought myself a Sony Z3 compact.

The method of charging is a bit awkward .. having to unclip a side cover. This may, eventually break off.

I've been looking online and see that a magnetic charging unit is sold, to make charging easier. has anybody bought one of these and which would they recommend. Some seem pretty cheap.

A docking station is also available, but as I have a full cover, that may not work.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Do you mean Qi wireless charging? If so, I use it with my lumia and it works perfectly well.
    I actually use the Nokia supplied one, but, they all work the same ...
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Yes, we have two charging docks - one Sony one and one knockoff from ebay. I'd recommend going for a genuine one because the knockoff one doesn't seem to connect well.
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2015 at 1:50PM
    RumRat wrote: »
    Do you mean Qi wireless charging? If so, I use it with my lumia and it works perfectly well.
    I actually use the Nokia supplied one, but, they all work the same ...

Something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-Connector-Power-Charger-USB-Cable-for-Sony-Xperia-Z3-Z2-Z1-Compact-/261722359582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cefde471e

As I said earlier .. pretty cheap

But I've bought cheap before and ended up buying a second, different item immediately, so I may as well ask for some advice, perhaps from somebody who already has one of these 'charger things'
  • RumRat
    edited 28 February 2015 at 2:37PM
    ooops disregard this one...:o
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • RumRat
    No experience of those....Best go for Qi wireless charging ...... Like THIS..
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2015 at 4:00PM
    WLM21 wrote: »
    Something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magnetic-Connector-Power-Charger-USB-Cable-for-Sony-Xperia-Z3-Z2-Z1-Compact-/261722359582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cefde471e

As I said earlier .. pretty cheap

But I've bought cheap before and ended up buying a second, different item immediately, so I may as well ask for some advice, perhaps from somebody who already has one of these 'charger things'

I've heard (not sure how true this is though) these can be connected the wrong way round and damage us the charging circuit in the phone - not recommended apparently.

This is the one I've got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DK48-Magnetic-Charging-Compact-Black/dp/B00N9OBP7G
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I bought a wireless QI charging base for my LG G3 from ebay for £5.99 - it's only been a couple of months but it works fine.

You do have to position it correctly, but it's not difficult once you know where exactly to put it.
  • This has nothing to do with Qi charging. It's about a proprietary magnetic connector that only works on Sony phones.

I've bought about a dozen for my Xperia Z Ultra - various makes at various prices. Some are better than others (the poorer ones are either not moulded very well, and so don't fit very well, or else have weak magnets, so don't stay attached to the phone).

My advice would be to go for the ones which have a LED at the phone end - they generally tend to have a better quality of fit. There's no real point in paying the large mark-up that Sony require for their own brand cables.
    Philip
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I read around when looking for a magnetic charger for my z ultra (same system as the z3 compact) but while I thought the Sony one was overpriced it had a good reputation while the non-genuine ones had a very mixed reputation. Mine came with an adapter to allow the phone to sit in with a case or without but I don't know how flexible it was with third party case. The z ultra dock could be dismantled and you could use the magnetic cable which again seemed to work better than third party ones and the case wouldn't be an issue.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've heard (not sure how true this is though) these can be connected the wrong way round and damage us the charging circuit in the phone - not recommended apparently.

This is the one I've got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DK48-Magnetic-Charging-Compact-Black/dp/B00N9OBP7G

Yes, be careful with the cheap ones, mine connected the wrong way round to my Z1 and damaged it. Stick with the official dock, although be aware if you have a case on your phone it might not fit
    poppy10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport