Mix 'n' match laptop power supplies

in Techie Stuff
2 replies 640 views
benjusbenjus Forumite
5.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
Forumite
My wife and I have had quite a few laptops over the years, and we've ended up with a little collection of power supplies.

In the past I've been fairly free about mixing and matching power supplies, as long as the voltage and polarity matched. It's useful to have a few power supplies positioned strategically around the place.

However I've just bought a shiny new Toshiba laptop with a nice spec which I paid quite a lot for, and obviously don't want to ruin it. It came with a power supply rated at 19V, which I've actually measured at 19.4V (without load).

I've also got an HP power supply lying around which is also rated at 19V but I've measured at 20V. I've put on the correct plug for the new laptop and tried it briefly and it seemed fine. The HP power supply is rated at a lower current than the Toshiba one, but it seemed sufficient to power the laptop and didn't overheat.

So - how much of a risk do you think it is to use this HP power supply with the Toshiba? Ideally I'd like to have one power supply permanently set up at my "desk" with the cables hidden inside the furniture, and another power supply for carrying around. But of course I don't want to damage the thing.
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning

Replies

• ossieossie Forumite
    354 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is amperage the same though!
  • benjusbenjus Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    ossie wrote: »
    Is amperage the same though!
    benjus wrote: »
    The HP power supply is rated at a lower current than the Toshiba one, but it seemed sufficient to power the laptop and didn't overheat.

The Toshiba one is 120W while the HP one is 90W. I'm not worried about how fast it charges as it will be plugged in most of the time.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code