u03ekwu03ekw Forumite
136 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
I have

WD 3 TB USB 3.0 Elements Desktop Hard Drive

and

LG 50PK590

The TV has USB ports for external hard drives - however I cant seem to run it on the 3GB one. I've been to some forums and they've said that the max limit to run on TVs is 2GB but I cannot find it documented anywhere in my TV's manual.

Is that true? Before I buy a new hard drive...

Thanks

Replies

• edited 28 February 2015 at 11:05AM
    FightsbackFightsback Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    edited 28 February 2015 at 11:05AM
    u03ekw wrote: »
    I have

WD 3 TB USB 3.0 Elements Desktop Hard Drive

and

LG 50PK590

The TV has USB ports for external hard drives - however I cant seem to run it on the 3GB one. I've been to some forums and they've said that the max limit to run on TVs is 2GB but I cannot find it documented anywhere in my TV's manual.

Is that true? Before I buy a new hard drive...

Thanks

Your 3TB drive is formatted to a GPT partition which the TV does not understand. You can reformat your external drive but it will only show as 2TB max. To understand what is going on see here:

http://www.disk-partition.com/blog/3tb-external-hard-drive-only-showing-2tb-in-disk-management/

You need to do the reverse operation and convert the drive to MBR. Caution ! Doing this will erase all information held on the drive.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • pc1271pc1271 Forumite
    279 Posts
    I have a Samsung and have a similar problem. It's fussy about what it will read, and nothing I can find says what the specs should be.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals