Paint For Interior Wood

Options
wary
wary Posts: 789 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
We're about to have some decorating done, including skirting, doors & radiators. One decorator recommends satinwood; the other gloss. I'm aware of the discolouring issues with oil-based white paint and although decorators reckon these have been resolved, research on the Internet seemingly does not back this up.

Research suggests that oil-based satinwood is likely to be less problematic than oil-based gloss and that the latter is somewhat out-of-fashion. Water-based paint will stay whiter for longer but is not as hard wearing.

On balance, I'm inclined to go for an oil-based satinwood at this stage but am open to suggestions/recommendations including on which make I should use ... please? We don't have any kids in the house so I guess that it doesn't need to be as hard wearing, so should we seriously consider water based? ... and I might be tempted to decorate myself next time as it would mean no rubbing down is required.

Thanks.

Comments

• pendragon_arther
    Options
    In my experience water based satinwood is less smelly and dries faster.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • Reece_
    Reece_ Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I prefer water based stuff , oil based yellowing is still an issue , it relies on uv to keep it white hence if applied in areas where there's not a lot of natural light coming in it will yellow quicker .
    As much as water based isn't as hard wearing as oil it doesn't mean it's not hard wearing , I've found it to be fine and not encountered any scratching or chipping and we've got cats that like to scratch up against the doors and a big dog bombing around.
    unless you build up more coats , water based gloss doesn't tend to have the sheen of oil based so I'd consider gloss to satin wood in that it won't be as shiny as oil based gloss anyway but will be more wipeable than satinwood .
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Water based paint it washes off as i have done my kitchen units with it and any marks on the door the flipping paint comes off.
  • MadelinesMum
    Options
    I've just painted an interior door with Dulux non-drip gloss and it's way too shiny compared to the other doors (it's a new build). I suppose the other doors must have originally been a satinwood.

It took over 24 hours to dry (the tin said 16hrs) and it still smells of gloss over a week later.
    I must remember that "Money Saving" is not buying heavily discounted items that I do not need. :hello:
  • Reece_
    Reece_ Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    imho wrote: »
    Water based paint it washes off as i have done my kitchen units with it and any marks on the door the flipping paint comes off.

This isn't a common trait of water based paints, there will be an underlying issue as to why this is happening with your doors.
  • jonnyb1978
    jonnyb1978 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sikkens Satura everything for interior wood. The dogs danglies of paint.
  • adandem
    adandem Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use water based gloss with no problems at all. It dries quickly, doesn't smell and isn't too shiny. It doesn't yellow at all.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just painted an interior door with Dulux non-drip gloss and it's way too shiny compared to the other doors (it's a new build). I suppose the other doors must have originally been a satinwood.

It took over 24 hours to dry (the tin said 16hrs) and it still smells of gloss over a week later.

Our decorator used Dulux Trade eggshell (matt) finish and I used it on the internal doors. It is excellent, covers well and hasn't yellowed.

As regards drying time, oil based paint may be touch dry in a day, but it actually takes 3-7 days to dry and harden off completely, hence the smell.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    wary wrote: »
    We're about to have some decorating done, including skirting, doors & radiators. One decorator recommends satinwood; the other gloss. I'm aware of the discolouring issues with oil-based white paint and although decorators reckon these have been resolved, research on the Internet seemingly does not back this up.

I painted the woodwork in my hallway (six doors, frames, archetraves and skirting) using dulux trade white gloss and the primer and undercoat from the same range. 18 months on and no sign of yellowing, and that in a room with very little natural light.

I think yellowing very much depends on the individual paint used - in my bedroom I painted the skirting with own-brand gloss from a DIY shed which went yellow in a couple of months.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure