🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

SOA. Childcare fees and want to save for a house!

Options

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mobiles seem very high.

Mines £33 a month. My contract isnt up until next year. I wont need a new handset so can shop around for a good deal or go PAYG

Asked my partner if he'd switch to PAYG, he said no :mad:
  • chelseablue
    Options
    The OP has stated 2 cars so assume these figures cover both.

Yes its for 2 cars.

My insurance is only about £25 a month as Ive been driving since I was 18 and have over 10 years no claims

My partner's is £85 a month as he only passed his test last year. His insurance is due for renewal in March so will be shopping around to reduce it by quite a bit hopefully.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    No contents insurance?
    No provision for medical expenses?
    No budget for entertainment?
    No emergency fund?
    No child related expenses - clothes,toys etc?
    No holidays?

Touch wood Ive not been to the drs in years so dont really have medical expenses

Out of the £1k left over I try and save £800 and keep £200 for going out etc

The emergency fund I can take money out of my current savings

Wont be going on holiday this year :-/
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes its for 2 cars.

My insurance is only about £25 a month as Ive been driving since I was 18 and have over 10 years no claims

My partner's is £85 a month as he only passed his test last year. His insurance is due for renewal in March so will be shopping around to reduce it by quite a bit hopefully.

Sorry, I missed that. But the question remains, could you do without 1 car at least?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Sorry, I missed that. But the question remains, could you do without 1 car at least?

I need my car to drop my son off at his nursery, then get to work for 8:30am then collect him in the evening. So I def need a car.

My partner starts work at 07:30am so it is very convenient for him to have one too.

If we were totally skint then I wouldnt mind sharing, not sure he'd agree. :rotfl:Plus he'd always be asking for lifts ;)
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Suggest Sky/cable TV could be chopped - there's plenty of stuff on freeview.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    I wouldn't mind getting rid of it in July when the contracts up.

The other half is a big football fan so it's cheaper to have sky sports than it is for him to watch games up the pub
  • chazsucks
    Options
    Hmm not sure I have much to add from previous comments - if it was me I'd try and cut down on the mobile phone bill, the satellite tv, the groceries, and the car costs (probably share a car).

How old is your son? Is it from 2 they get free 15hrs childcare now or still 3?

If you're saving £800 per month already that's awesome, but I'd still try to shave off some of the extra amounts if you're serious about saving up for a house :)
    Misc debts - £5,000 | Student loan - £9,000 | Mortgage - £180,000
    Goals for 2015: Sell house & downsize + Increase income + Get debt Free :shocked: {Diary}
    <3DS born 05/05/2009 & DS2 born 12/02/2011 <3
    Smoke free since 01/01/2010
    Paid off credit card 04/04/2011
  • chelseablue
    Options
    He's 9 months old, he won't get any free hours until he's 3 years.

Been looking at mobile tarrifs tonight. When my contracts up I'll keep the handset and get a sim only deal. Could save £20 a month or more :)
  • chazsucks
    Options
    That's a good idea! I'm on a sim only contract and it's cheaper than when I was on PAYG!
    Misc debts - £5,000 | Student loan - £9,000 | Mortgage - £180,000
    Goals for 2015: Sell house & downsize + Increase income + Get debt Free :shocked: {Diary}
    <3DS born 05/05/2009 & DS2 born 12/02/2011 <3
    Smoke free since 01/01/2010
    Paid off credit card 04/04/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business