Best energy saving light bulbs?

Hi,

Need to purchase 4 energy saving light bulbs. The old one's we had were the twisted tub ones but they took ages to light up to full strength and there was a delay when you switched them on.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
MR

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    LEDs but expensive.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I got some CFLs from Aldi that are quite good VFM. (Very bright coiled tubes that are near enough full brightness immediately).

£1.99 each IIRC.
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 424 Forumite
    Hi,

Need to purchase 4 energy saving light bulbs. The old one's we had were the twisted tub ones but they took ages to light up to full strength and there was a delay when you switched them on.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    MR

What is the application and how much usage will they get?
  • One is for a hallway and the other 3 are for bedrooms.

Hallway light is usually on for about 1 hour a day.

Hard to say about the bedrooms ones. Probably 1-2 hours per day.

Looking to the near future, I will also probably need 2 which work on dimmer switches.

Thanks
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you need dimmable light bulb, it is best to go for dimmable led light & switch.
  • I've just fitted some LED Downlights in my bathroom. Expensive to put in the light they give off is genuinely the bees knees!
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    OH is a bit of a lightbulb fiend (all sorts of muttering about how much light and light colour etc) and he's fitted LEDs most places possible in the house. THey look like the old light bulbs, light instantly and last plus use tiny tiny amounts of electricity (4w for example)
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cisco001 wrote: »
    If you need dimmable light bulb, it is best to go for dimmable led light & switch.

I bought some dimmable leds from Amazon but they don't dim!

I have since read that buying dimmable leds is a minefield and it looks like I have to change the switch if I want my current ones to dim.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    One is for a hallway and the other 3 are for bedrooms.

Hallway light is usually on for about 1 hour a day.

Hard to say about the bedrooms ones. Probably 1-2 hours per day.

Looking to the near future, I will also probably need 2 which work on dimmer switches.

Thanks

I think the best energy savers are Philips LED bulbs. The light quality is very good. Prices have come down, but even now they're still only economical for the most heavily used lights in the house.

It depends why you're trying to save energy, but in most cases you might as well just keep using filament bulbs in fixtures which are used lightly. Now that most 60w bulbs have turned in to 42w halogens anyway, the savings are less than they once were. I worked out that replacing my remaining lightly used bulbs <2 hours a day with energy savers would save about 2-3 kWh a month. For economical and environmental things, there are better ways to spend the money.

Fluorescent bulbs are still an option and can be pretty cheap, but I don't usually like the light so much and disposing of them around here is challenging.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure