PIP back pay - will it be 26 weeks worth?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
7 replies 4.3K views
harveybobblesharveybobbles Forumite
9K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Just looking over someones PIP form and there is a seperate note inside that says they are taking upto 26 weeks at the minute to deal with.

Say, someone got an award at 26 weeks, would they really backpay that much?

I do know a handfuk of people who have been awarded PIP without an assessment and with in a few weeks.

Some even juat had a phone call to confirm some extra bits.

Replies

• Hi, they backdate to the date the claim was started - unless it's a transfer from DLA. I received back pay for 51 weeks!
  • mad_spanielmad_spaniel Forumite
    214 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You have to have suffered the problem(s) for 3 months before a payment can be made, if appropriate. Some people claim at the outset of the medical problem. In those cases, backdating of PIP would not be all the way back to date of form completion- it would be 3 months later.
  • Sorry, didn't think you could start a claim if you hadn't had the problems / difficulties for 3 months.
  • why are they not backdating the migration from dla.i was on low rate care but due to health getting worse was advised by hospital to apply for more but due to location it had to be pip, i sent off all my medical evidence ect april 2014.have just this week been awarded enhanced on care and mobility but no back pay for difference seems very unfair,
  • calconnik wrote: »
    why are they not backdating the migration from dla.i was on low rate care but due to health getting worse was advised by hospital to apply for more but due to location it had to be pip, i sent off all my medical evidence ect april 2014.have just this week been awarded enhanced on care and mobility but no back pay for difference seems very unfair,

Because at the time, nobody pushed in parliament for amendment of the legislation because it was not considered that the current government would consider it reasonable to be holding onto hundreds of millions of pounds of the disableds money simply by delaying assessments.

Unfortunately, if you are not urgently needing the money, and are sure that you would get a new higher award, the better advice is to withdraw your DLA claim, then claim PIP afresh.
    Yes, you have no money until the new decision, but it's backdated.

There is no clear way to appeal this, and any appeal risks consequences - for example a change of the law so that people getting a lower award need to pay the overpayment back.
    You could in principle ask for compensation, but this is extremely unlikely to compensate for the entirety - or indeed a significant portion of the underpayment.
  • many thanks. of course am grateful for the dla was getting but knew i would get higher pip i have very complex medical issues ie spinal cord compression permenant trache and other things but hey ho i am still alive and maybe one day with medical science improving and god willingi may improve.
  • i recieved 6 months backdated with no assessment
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides