Severe Disability and Enhanced Disability Premiums with ESA

Options
Hi All. Have been doing some reading around and keep seeing Severe Disability Premium and Enhanced Disability Premium. I wonder if someone could lay it out for me. I've read it on the .gov site but before letting my daughter know and ESA I wnated to make sure I have things correct.

My daughter is in the Support Group on income related ESA and is also on the Higher Rate Care in PIP. She lives alone and no one receives carers Allowance for her.

Can anyone tell me what payments she'd be entitled to from the Disability Premiums above. There's been so much to research with her illness and very recently applying for PIP and ESA, I don't think I can quite get my head round this at present so would really appreciate a fresh pair of eyes.Thanks.

Comments

• GirlFromMars_2
    Options
    The Enhanced Disability Premium (£15.55) should I believe be added automatically if the DWP know your daughter receives PIP Care. She will need to apply for the Severe Disability Premium (£61.10) though as it's not automatic.

She just needs to fill out a simple form saying she's living alone etc and it should be added. Mine took a few weeks though, as the DWP are insanely busy, and even something simple like the SDP gets put on the back burner if nobody is chasing it up.
  • bujin
    bujin Posts: 242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2015 at 10:14AM
    Options
    Thank you for this. I wonder then, is this backdated or just from the point of claiming. Having this money would enable her to make some adjustments to her life, so every penny counts.

I presume we'll be able to see if she's getting her enhanced premium from her ESA payment, although at present I believe she's only getting the £108.15.
  • SPELLKASTER
    Options
    I receive middle rate dla care and higher rate dla mobility.

I am very angry I cant get the disability premium because I am penalised for living with someone.

Its so not fair I cant get nothing!!
  • bujin
    Options

I am very angry I cant get the disability premium because I am penalised for living with someone.

Penalised is a strange word to use for having someone able to live with you and support you? Are they getting carers allowance for you?
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bujin wrote: »
    Penalised is a strange word to use for having someone able to live with you and support you? Are they getting carers allowance for you?

It's not strange to think your being penalized if you have a partner who has to work...lots of disabled people are left alone to fend for themselves while their partner has to work...
  • bujin
    Options
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    It's not strange to think your being penalized if you have a partner who has to work...lots of disabled people are left alone to fend for themselves while their partner has to work...

That's not what was being discussed. I know people have to fend for themselves all day whilst someone works, I'm one of them!!

SPELLKASTER wrote "I am very angry I cant get the disability premium because I am penalised for living with someone".

You've made the assumption that everyone who has someone living with them works. That's not the inference I took from the comment. SPELLKASTER didn't mention anything about someone living with her who works. So my response was only in direct response to what they said, not by what I assume about their situation which I can't do.
    My daughter lives alone, so she has no one else providing any monetary and/or emotional support for her, she's unable to work so has no way of improving her standard of living. I know she'd choose having someone living with her over the money any day of the week.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Options
    i also find spellkasters attitude a little odd.
    you have support from another person on a regular basis instead of having to pay for it. the premiums are intended to meet the extra costs.

OP ... your daughter should be receiving just over £369 a fortnight in ESA.
    if she isn't, you need to contact them
  • helping_hand2014
    Options

some disabled people dont have the luxury of having someone live with them that's why they get the extra premium to help pay for extra care and support .

could you really put a price on the FREE help and support you get from the person who lives with you? the emotional support? physical support ? not being alone?

all i can say is wow! seriously WOW!
  • kittykat17
    kittykat17 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    edited 27 February 2015 at 10:04PM
    Options
    I live with my 86 year old father. He gets higher rate attendance allowance, I get standard care and higher rate mobility on PIP. I work part-time. Neither my father nor I receive either premium but we don't whine on about how unfair it is. We just get on with it! I pay carers to come in and help my father when I'm at work and have a carer come in each day to help me - paid from my PIP. I'd love to have someone else here to help me but I don't. That's life!

OP as your daughter lives alone she is, as others have said, entitled (I hate that word!) to one or both premiums. It's tough having care needs and living alone so all respect to her and I hope you can get it sorted out for her soon.
  • bujin
    Options
    Thanks All. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way. It shows that people have recognised one how brave my daughter is, but also how you most certainly can't put a price on having someone there to support you every day even if it is around a working day. I know it's absolutely right that my daughter at 24 has her independence as much as possible (even if it's difficult at times for her father and I supporting her decision).
    It now means she can have and pay for the things which she feels will be of most help in maintaining her independence, so that's great.

I've since spoken on the phone to ESA and they have confirmed she definitely has the qualifying criteria for both Premiums, so are sending the forms to her. So all being well that will soon be sorted, so many thanks everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure