should VPN be on or off please?

in Techie Stuff
9 replies 1.8K views
there is an option on my Lumia 520 for VPN on or off.
is this something I need to turn on?
thank you.
LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

Replies

• thescouselanderthescouselander Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have a specific reason to use a vpn I expect you should leave it off.
  • Hi asparagus1968, unless you're needing to use a VPN, then no, of course not. :)
  • flicksflicks Forumite
    198 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    A VPN, (virtual private network), is a means of disguising your IP address.

Certain illegal things such as file sharing and torrent streaming are blocked by some internet service providers.

The VPN basically disguises your IP address to allow such services to become useable and avoid the block but usually slowing the speed in the process.

Unless your are doing such naughty things there is no purpose to having it switched on so leave it off.
  • StuC75StuC75 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Err think you're dwelling on one very specific 'aspect' of vpn, and there are far more practical uses and applications for VPN use..

I have vpn setup so can remotely access home network with tablets and laptops when out without having to open ports on the router - I just connect as I would at home.

Also means that can access legitimate websites that may be blocked in that location (facebook \ social media, betting, lottery?.. when travelling abroad) and becomes a safer means of accessing personal information when I am out since it is privately routed to my home internet, rather than using local servers - e.g. Man in the Middle type attacks (banking details say when on hotel wifi)..

I can access the hard drive connected to my Asus router and network storage on my home server, making it easier to essentially create my own cloud storage point for uploads, and run Timemachine backups from the Mac, shared folders for backups and printer can be used too..

Can check and make changes to the home internet if not wanting the kids to be online all the time.

The vpn wouldn't be doing anything unless it was configured with access details - whether that's on to commercial server or back to a home server.
    flicks wrote: »
    A VPN, (virtual private network), is a means of disguising your IP address.

Certain illegal things such as file sharing and torrent streaming are blocked by some internet service providers.

The VPN basically disguises your IP address to allow such services to become useable and avoid the block but usually slowing the speed in the process.

Unless your are doing such naughty things there is no purpose to having it switched on so leave it off.
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP.....The answer in your particular case is, leave it off.....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Thanks all. Thought it would be "OFF" as
    1. managed up to now ,not knowing what is is for :)
    2.StuC75- all gobbledygook to me!!

Have a lovely rest of the day .
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• anotheruseranotheruser Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭

How is it "gobbledygook"?
    It's plain English, that doesn't require much technical knowledge to know what it means on the surface.
    If I don't provide specifics to a question, don't ask for them in your answer.
    When I want specific answers, I'll provide the information.
  • RumRatRumRat Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Thought it would be "OFF" as
    1. managed up to now ,not knowing what is is for :)

Have a lovely rest of the day .
    No problem....The more you learn the easier it becomes...;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is it "gobbledygook"?
    It's plain English, that doesn't require much technical knowledge to know what it means on the surface.

If you know next to nothing about networking then the post may as well be in another language. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides