TheBunting's Starting From Scratch Savings Diary

Options

Comments

• organic_wanabe
    Options
    Thanks bowlhead. I am sure there is lots that I never get told about since he lives in London and I live in Edinburgh. However, all this bank statements, credit card statements, ISA and pension statements etc. get sent to his home address. He tells me to open and file them (as his unpaid PA) so naturally I have a peek!
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Thanks bowlhead. I am sure there is lots that I never get told about since he lives in London...

...He tells me to open and file them (as his unpaid PA) so naturally I have a peek!
    As I'm sure your research will indicate, String Fellows is a knitting store and the Spearmint Rhino is a zoo-themed sweetshop.
  • organic_wanabe
    Options
    Haven't seen these ones - and I wont ask how you know about them! However, Mr. Fogg's in Mayfair has appeared. Thanks to your advice about a bit of research, I now know that it is a drinking establishment and nothing to do with a trip round the world in 80 days.

TheBunting - beware of such places, they want to separate you from your hard earned cash!
  • lalman
    lalman Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    I am going on holiday for 250 quid including spending money this year - climbing Ben Nevis and staying in a hostel with my friends... friends that never saved like I did when I was younger so don't have the disposable funds that I have now to do what they want....

I still think it will be a lot of fun... and the relationship between fun and money is not proportional!
    My Goal: From 1st of Jan 2015 to 31st of December 2015 is to save 30000.

48.78% towards 2015 target.

105.3% towards 2014 target. :j
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TheBunting - Good Luck.

It's not easy to save, you have to work at it and make it second nature.

There are so many Bright & Shiny things out there that can all too easily consume all your cash - been there, done that and got all the T-Shirts.

I have no idea how much a typical holiday in Ibiza costs but to put the numbers you quoted into perspective based on the experience of my two boys who are in their 20's:

Son 1 - 4 Months travelling around South America <£2.5k including flights & 7 weeks in South East Asia for under £1800 including flights.

The best he has ever done was a week in Sardinia, climbing with a couple of mates at an off-peak time of year for £120 including the flights although you have to camp on the beach to get it that low.

Son 2 - 11 weeks in South East Asia for under £2.5k including flights.

To be fair a holiday in Ibiza would be there worst nightmare come true but each to their own.

Sorry to sound like your parents but Save & Enjoy Yourself, it can be done but it needs to be planned it won't happen by accident.
  • TheBunting
    TheBunting Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the feedback and support guys. I realised that I was going back to my old self by agreeing to do all these things with friends. It doesn't help that I have separate groups of. Friends I associate with all doing different things and want to me to get involved so it is hard to say no but I realise now I just have to and start looking at the bigger picture.

Many have asked how my quotes for Ibiza were so dear, so let me elaborate. The hotel was Ibiza Rocks, which if you haven't heard of is one of the best hotels there and a lot of concerts happen in the hotel, so we could sit on our balcony and watch Tinie Tempah etc whilst getting ready to go out, very expensive hotel. The nightclubs in Ibiza are extremely expensive, some over €100 to get in and drinks cost €15-20 each. One club even charges €18 for a bottle of water and they turn the taps off in bathrooms so you can't drink it, crazy expensive!! :rotfl:

That explains that, as for what you said bowlhead99..
    I was thinking of doing something similar, I become a time served tradesman at the end of June (finally :D) and with that I will be getting over £100/week more. I was gonna keep doing what I do just now, budget on this wage and put away savings. Whatever extra I get in my wage I was gonna add on to what I save every week so it's just like I am still on 4th year wages. What you think?
    Goal is to Retire before I'm 40 (currently 30yo) 
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TheBunting wrote: »

Many have asked how my quotes for Ibiza were so dear, so let me elaborate. The hotel was Ibiza Rocks, which if you haven't heard of is one of the best hotels there and a lot of concerts happen in the hotel, so we could sit on our balcony and watch Tinie Tempah etc whilst getting ready to go out, very expensive hotel. The nightclubs in Ibiza are extremely expensive, some over €100 to get in and drinks cost €15-20 each. One club even charges €18 for a bottle of water and they turn the taps off in bathrooms so you can't drink it, crazy expensive!! :rotfl:

To spend that sort of cash on an income of £1200/£1300 a month you would have to be certifiably insane or very wealthy (so income would not be £1200/month).

One night at a nightclub would cost £240 (£90 entrance and £15/drink for 10 drinks) - almost 20% of your monthly income for one night out!
  • TheBunting
    Options
    kangoora wrote: »
    To spend that sort of cash on an income of £1200/£1300 a month you would have to be certifiably insane or very wealthy (so income would not be £1200/month).

One night at a nightclub would cost £240 (£90 entrance and £15/drink for 10 drinks) - almost 20% of your monthly income for one night out!

Mental I know! There would be ways of making it less expensive but who cares now, I am not going anymore my decision is final :D. Means after I pay for my car and insurance which takes this Friday's wage, I can start saving :T.
  • organic_wanabe
    organic_wanabe Posts: 808 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2015 at 7:10PM
    Options
    TheBunting wrote: »

Here are a couple of recent reviews for Ibiza Rocks:

Typically there were no acts performing whilst we were there for our four days but even if there was our balcony was facing the quieter pool so wouldn't made made a difference either way! The reps were very helpful upon arrival and when it came to purchasing tickets for all of the acts... the rooms are pretty basic ...
    I guess you pay for what you get, so its cheap and cheerful. The highlight for me was seeing kaiser chiefs on one of the nights.

The downside however was witnessing someone die, outside the hotel ....

Always worth checking out Tripadvisor before making a booking and always take what people say with a pinch of salt (especially if the person has not reviewed before). However, in my opinion, it does give a good indication of whether it is value for money.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g652116-d291148-Reviews-Ibiza_Rocks_Hotel-Sant_Antoni_de_Portmany_Ibiza_Balearic_Islands.html

For example, taking the review above - if you really want to see The Kaiser Chiefs then go to a concert when they are touring. They are having a concert in Newmarket in July with tickets costing £60. Add on travel costs and a cheap night at a Premier Inn for about £30 if booked far enough in advance. Far less than £2500 but you can still have fun.

Also, a club that will not let you wash your hands after going to the loo! Yeuch.
  • TheBunting
    Options
    Ibiza is out of the question now, I broke the news to my friends about it today. Was tough but a relief and now looking forward to see how the saved money can perform in my savings :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure