Research forgotten credit card and loan providers

Options
I am sure I am not the first person to ask this question, but I have had quite a few different credit cards and loans over the years and cannot remember all of them.

I am wondering whether there is any way of tracing which cards and loans I have had, and the providers? Is there some kind of official register somewhere?

Can any of the companies offering to do the legwork for me do this - or do I need to tell them the banks involved myself before they can get to work?

And from what date does PPI mis-selling apply?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And from what date does PPI mis-selling apply?

There is no date specifically. However, PPi wasnt typically sold until the mid 80s but didnt become mainstream pressured until the 1990s onwards.
    I am wondering whether there is any way of tracing which cards and loans I have had, and the providers? Is there some kind of official register somewhere?

Your credit record will tell you the last 6 years but nothing goes back further other than your own record keeping and memory.
    Can any of the companies offering to do the legwork for me do this

No. Your data is not in the public domain. You have to tell them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure