Please help me get justice for my cat. RSPCA are responsible for her death.

Options

Comments

• Homeownertobe
    Options
    I have been in contact with various lawyers for legal advice, which i can't discuss for safety of my case, however it does mean I have to wait for a reply from the RSPCA.

What a pity none of them explained to you the dangers of defamation.
  • bagpussbear
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty.

But there is something I don't understand - did you not notice any symptoms that your cat was going into renal failure? I've had 2 cats now (one still with me) that had renal failure, and the first symptom was them drinking more and more water,. Was your cat not displaying any symptoms like this?
  • MaryRudgard
    Options
    What a pity none of them explained to you the dangers of defamation.

I am a journalist with full NCTJ qualifications in Law. I am well aware of defamation. Please come down from your high horse and understand I am also very understanding of the defences of defamation such as Justification and Honest Comment.

I have my evidence and my knowledge. None of this is glossed over and for your comment on my overly emotive letter. I have also written to the Chief Inspector in quite a different manner. please follow the link:

change.org/p/rspca-review-your-protocol-and-respond-to-the-death-of-my-cat/u/9817686
  • MaryRudgard
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty.

But there is something I don't understand - did you not notice any symptoms that your cat was going into renal failure? I've had 2 cats now (one still with me) that had renal failure, and the first symptom was them drinking more and more water,. Was your cat not displaying any symptoms like this?

Yes she was. She was drinking more and we were keeping a close eye on her, taking her to the vet and considering the necessary treatments. Which is why we also blocked all exits from the garden.

That doesn't mean that she was looking ill and the inspector had the right to snatch her from the garden. She just had to contact us first and it would have been easily resolved.
  • lulu_92
    lulu_92 Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cuilean wrote: »
    Ditto, Catkins. I'm very mild-mannered (Most of the time ;) ), but this is going to be a very out-of-character rant. I have no time for the RSPCA either. When I've seen animals in need of help, they're not interested unless they can get themselves some media coverage. I donate regularly to Dogs' Trust and local animal charities, whose ideas on animal welfare are on par with mine.

Why do I dislike them? When a malicious neighbour took a dislike to my husband, she called the RSPCA to make allegations and they came down and put a card through the door saying that they knew we were beating our dog and starving her, and demanded that we call them. Against my advice, husband called them and discussed things. Eventually, they agreed that we weren't abusing the dog, but warned us that we were "on file" from now on, despite being satisfied that we were innocent :eek:

OP, the RSPCA have no more powers than you or I, but they like to act as if they do. Read up on your rights at The SHG , who run a very helpful website which tells you what your rights are when dealing with these people. You may wish to post your situation to them. Read up, and if their "inspectors" show up again, tell them to stop trespassing.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and how it all came about. I would be distraught if someone took my dog and euthanised her. You always imagine you're going to be there for your animal right until the end, regardless of how that is, and you were deprived of that.

A woman in our area used to run an animal shelter until she was arrested for alleged cruelty to animals (I think she was acquitted) - the strange thing was that it was the RSPCA who supplied her with animals they were unable to treat/home. Then they contacted the police and whilst she was being investigated the RSPCA continued to give her animals to look after! I don't have an opinion on what the woman did as I do not know anything about what she did (other than what my local paper printed, which I do not count as a reputable source).

I got my cats and dog from the RSPCA near me and it seems decent enough. I will always rescue a dog before considering buying from a breeder.
    Our Rainbow Twins born 17th April 2016
    :A 02.06.2015 :A
    :A 29.12.2018 :A

• Transformers
    Options
    I am a journalist with full NCTJ qualifications in Law. I am well aware of defamation. Please come down from your high horse and understand I am also very understanding of the defences of defamation such as Justification and Honest Comment.

I have my evidence and my knowledge. None of this is glossed over and for your comment on my overly emotive letter. I have also written to the Chief Inspector in quite a different manner. please follow the link:

change.org/p/rspca-review-your-protocol-and-respond-to-the-death-of-my-cat/u/9817686

Wow, what an experienced 22 year old you are ;).

In your original letter you called the RSPCA corrupt - how is this an 'honest comment'? Sounds like libel to me, as in:

- The allegations have been published to one or more persons
    - The allegations refer to a legal entity by name
    - The words used will tend to lower the organisation in the eyes of right thinking members of society.

I know you are upset but I struggle to fit your writing and actions with those of a professionally trained journalist.

It's rambling, full of unnecessary fillers and doesn't give the full facts.

You are going about this entirely the wrong way.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cuilean wrote: »
    Ditto, Catkins. I'm very mild-mannered (Most of the time ;) ), but this is going to be a very out-of-character rant. I have no time for the RSPCA either. When I've seen animals in need of help, they're not interested unless they can get themselves some media coverage. I donate regularly to Dogs' Trust and local animal charities, whose ideas on animal welfare are on par with mine.

Why do I dislike them? When a malicious neighbour took a dislike to my husband, she called the RSPCA to make allegations and they came down and put a card through the door saying that they knew we were beating our dog and starving her, and demanded that we call them. Against my advice, husband called them and discussed things. Eventually, they agreed that we weren't abusing the dog, but warned us that we were "on file" from now on, despite being satisfied that we were innocent :eek:

I know someone who was reported to the RSPCA for supposedly abusing their dog which, to all who knew the person, was an absolute joke. Ok It's good they investigated but although they agreed the dog was well looked after, in good condition and certainly wasn't timid or scared, the officers were very rude to the person and said the same about "being on file".

I also know a couple that were going through a very very difficult time and had to spend a couple of weeks away from their home. They got a friend to go in and feed their 2 cats twice a day, partly because it was cheaper than them going into a cattery and also because they thought it was kinder to the cats.

A nosy and horrible neighbour reported the couple had left the two cats behind after moving out! The RSPCA got into the house (not sure how) and took the cats. My friends were very very upset. They were already dealing with a difficult and upsetting situation and this hardly helped.

Any they did get their cats back, after a bit of a fight, but the female, who was very young and had not yet been spayed, was pregnant. When they asked the RSPCA about this (as their second cat was also a female) they totally denied that it could have happened whilst in their care! An immaculate conception in the cat world then as the cats were indoor cats!

I would also add that in one of the dog abuse cases me and OH informed the RSPCA about and they weren't interested, my OH took the law into his own hands and broke into the house and took the dog. We did get a visit from the police but it never went any further thankfully.

That dog who was skin and bone and had been very badly treated lived with us for about 7 years until he died. He was a real sweetie but he was always terrified of almost everything and was extremely stupid (vet thought he had brain damage from the abuse)
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • MaryRudgard
    Options
    Wow, what an experienced 22 year old you are ;).

In your original letter you called the RSPCA corrupt - how is this an 'honest comment'? Sounds like libel to me, as in:

- The allegations have been published to one or more persons
    - The allegations refer to a legal entity by name
    - The words used will tend to lower the organisation in the eyes of right thinking members of society.

I know you are upset but I struggle to fit your writing and actions with those of a professionally trained journalist.

It's rambling, full of unnecessary fillers and doesn't give the full facts.

You are going about this entirely the wrong way.

I know exactly what defines something as defamation.

The reason my petition is emotive is because I need the public to understand the effect the case has on me as a human being.

I have also sent multiple letters to the RSPCA outlining the facts and figures, as you can see in my recent update above ^^

If I go at the RSPCA alone they don't need to respond with something satisfactory, they don't have anyone to answer to but me. However there is strength in numbers.

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes before you assume I am not carrying out the proper precautions and formal approaches.

All I have done is state the facts. This has gone on for years, and they're only doing something now because I've told the public.

However I do appreciate your advice and I take it all in.
  • MaryRudgard
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    I know someone who was reported to the RSPCA for supposedly abusing their dog which, to all who knew the person, was an absolute joke. Ok It's good they investigated but although they agreed the dog was well looked after, in good condition and certainly wasn't timid or scared, the officers were very rude to the person and said the same about "being on file".

I also know a couple that were going through a very very difficult time and had to spend a couple of weeks away from their home. They got a friend to go in and feed their 2 cats twice a day, partly because it was cheaper than them going into a cattery and also because they thought it was kinder to the cats.

A nosy and horrible neighbour reported the couple had left the two cats behind after moving out! The RSPCA got into the house (not sure how) and took the cats. My friends were very very upset. They were already dealing with a difficult and upsetting situation and this hardly helped.

Any they did get their cats back, after a bit of a fight, but the female, who was very young and had not yet been spayed, was pregnant. When they asked the RSPCA about this (as their second cat was also a female) they totally denied that it could have happened whilst in their care! An immaculate conception in the cat world then as the cats were indoor cats!

I would also add that in one of the dog abuse cases me and OH informed the RSPCA about and they weren't interested, my OH took the law into his own hands and broke into the house and took the dog. We did get a visit from the police but it never went any further thankfully.

That dog who was skin and bone and had been very badly treated lived with us for about 7 years until he died. He was a real sweetie but he was always terrified of almost everything and was extremely stupid (vet thought he had brain damage from the abuse)

They genuinely just accuse people with absolutely no proof. I know people who have had a full record of vaccination cards and the RSPCA seized there animals on the grounds they hadn't had the proper vaccines and had done NO investigation. Why wouldn't you just knock on the door, ask to see the vaccination cards and go on your merry way?

Because they target certain people or animals on purpose to even out their statistics with all of the genuine calls they ignore!
  • Transformers
    Options
    Because they target certain people or animals on purpose to even out their statistics with all of the genuine calls they ignore!

How on earth are you able to substantiate that?

You're starting to sound a bit nutty now - which will push people away from your cause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure