Paid Tax on time, but got warning about outstaning bill

I did my Tax Return on the 15th January and paid my the full amount they said I was due by the 31st straight away.

I have always paid the full amount due in January and July. On the 12th of February I got an email saying about a £463.00 Overdue Tax Bill, thought it might be fake, but logged into the official website and it was real, paid it in full straight away online.

I was hold for nearly 40 minutes and could not get a straight answer out of the Tax Help Line, as to way if I pay my tax bill in time and in full, way I had to pay £463.00 and was not told about about it before 31st January.

She just thought it might be a readjustment. Seven years in business and this has never happened.

Has anyone else had and issue with the Self Assessment this year, after they had already paid their tax bill???

Thank you

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jamesblue wrote: »
    She just thought it might be a readjustment.

That's an unacceptable reason and you shouldn't have let her off with it. Sounds like she was a little lazy and couldn't be bothered looking at your record properly.

You have every right to know chapter and verse as to why an unexplained figure has been added to your account. I'd suggest you ring again and hopefully you'll get someone who can be bothered to look at it properly, or if they can't understand it, you should insist that it's referred to someone else.

In reality, I suspect it will be an underpayment from an earlier tax year that's been carried forward, but you need to know the facts so that you can check it's right.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did my Tax Return on the 15th January and paid my the full amount they said I was due by the 31st straight away.

I have always paid the full amount due in January and July. On the 12th of February I got an email saying about a £463.00 Overdue Tax Bill, thought it might be fake, but logged into the official website and it was real, paid it in full straight away online.

I was hold for nearly 40 minutes and could not get a straight answer out of the Tax Help Line, as to way if I pay my tax bill in time and in full, way I had to pay £463.00 and was not told about about it before 31st January.

She just thought it might be a readjustment. Seven years in business and this has never happened.

Has anyone else had and issue with the Self Assessment this year, after they had already paid their tax bill???

Thank you

I thought HMRC NEVER sent out emails asking for cash.
    You didn't log on to HMRC via the emailed link did you?
    How did you pay and are you sure that your correct UTR was inextricably attached to the payment?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • There were no links in the email, I logged into the official website and it was correct. I even rang them. It is annoying that if you pay in full, then they get in touch and want more mid February and the telephone helpdesk just said it must be a re adjustment and could not really explain it.

It just makes me think, how do I just their calculations in future.

Thanks
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    How did you pay and are you sure that your correct UTR was inextricably attached to the payment?

You didn't answer that one.
    It's only too easy to forget what will be essential at the other end.
  • jamesblue
    jamesblue Posts: 52 Forumite
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    You didn't answer that one.
    It's only too easy to forget what will be essential at the other end.

Sorry I missed that, I have just logged in and yes it is the same UTR. Also logged into the Self Assessment page, I paid £500, just encase they had another miscalculation and the difference they have put towards the 31st of July payment.

Therefore there is nothing fake about it.
  • zygurat789
    Sorry I missed that, I have just logged in and yes it is the same UTR. Also logged into the Self Assessment page, I paid £500, just encase they had another miscalculation and the difference they have put towards the 31st of July payment.

Therefore there is nothing fake about it.

What I meant was did the payment you made, by whatever method, have your UTR clearly attached to it.
    HMRC receive many payments with no reference, what chance do they stand of putting it to the correcvt liability?
  • jamesblue
    jamesblue Posts: 52 Forumite
    Yes against the payment it had the same UTR for the previous payments in Jan/July going back years.

I have logged into the HMRC payment system and can see them all listed with the same UTR.

I will try ringing them during the week, and see what they say. I originally rang them on the weekend, on hold for ages, and the lady could not explain it, but confirm to their records it was outstanding, even though she could she I paid in full what they requested for January and always paid in full previously.

Thanks
  • zygurat789
    Yes against the payment it had the same UTR for the previous payments in Jan/July going back years.

I have logged into the HMRC payment system and can see them all listed with the same UTR.

I will try ringing them during the week, and see what they say. I originally rang them on the weekend, on hold for ages, and the lady could not explain it, but confirm to their records it was outstanding, even though she could she I paid in full what they requested for January and always paid in full previously.

Thanks

The fact that this is not listed may mean that the UTR was not present, misread etc.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    It might be easier to work out waht might have happened of you can tell us

How much payment on account did you pay for 31 Jan 2014 ( not the full payment only the payment on account due)

How much payment on account did you pay for 31July 2014

How much was your self assessment calculation for 2013/14

How much was the payment you made for 31 Jan 2015.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure