craft ideas

Options
Hello, I've never been in to crafts etc and I'm not very artistic. However, recently I've had a strange urge to take up a crafty type hobby. Don't know what or where to start. Any ideas please.

Comments

• Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Really difficult, what sort of thing's would you like to make, there must be something that you've seen & thought it was nice, or a good idea & wished you could make it. Was there anything you did as a kid & enjoyed? Is there a Hobbycraft type shop or arts centre or college near you that maybe run courses & taster sessions that might take your fancy?
    Maybe have a look on Pinterest see if there is anything that catches your eye.
    Booo!!!
  • trekkerdude
    Options
    Like Violetta said its hard to know what to suggest as we don't know what kind of stuff you are interested in. That being said something that wouldn't be too expensive or difficult to start with would be a small cross stitch
    Time is the Fire in which we Burn - Star Trek Generations

Current Projects:
    1. Scarlet Wizard by Dimensions
    2. Crochet double bed throw
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been saving all old nuts & bolts; nails; bits of metal, even old wire coat hangers. And i've got a small welder out in the garage and i want to make some sort of sculpture for the garden out of all the junk.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • trekkerdude
    Options
    That would be really nice. I've always wanted one of those that look like one of the aliens from Alien.

In Southhampton they used to have a life sized one that looked like Predator made from all of that kind of recycled odds and ends
    Time is the Fire in which we Burn - Star Trek Generations

Current Projects:
    1. Scarlet Wizard by Dimensions
    2. Crochet double bed throw
  • SallyWilliams_2
    Options
    You may want to try searching for crafts in the internet. You can start with whatever catches your eye. Good thing with the internet is there are tips and guides when it comes to making crafts so people like us won't find it very challenging. Good luck with your crafts! :)
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I would recommend having a browse on Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com), which is like an online scrapbook or pinboard that you can save ("pin") ideas to. There is a whole section on arts and crafts. I have got hundreds of lovely craft ideas pinned, but no time to start them at the moment.

Also, try Instructables (http://www.instructables.com) which is really good for more edgy, unsual or technology-related ideas. My teenage son loves it!
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yarn based hobbies are affordable and highly portable (well many of them). I started off learning to crochet and then moved on to knitting, spinning and weaving. There are often local groups that meet and they can be great for learning new skills and for a natter and some cake.

To get started you would only need to spend a few pounds and there are loads of clips on You-Tube as well as free patterns on Ravelry. The library is also great for books on getting started.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • SoSilver9
    Options
    For some inspiration see https://www.craftster.org and https://www.bhg.com crafts.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you see the programme on Tv last night about pottery ? I'd like to have a go of that but after last night it doesn't look easy.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 November 2015 at 10:05PM
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Did you see the programme on Tv last night about pottery ? I'd like to have a go of that but after last night it doesn't look easy.

Don't have a television so can't comment on the programme!
    However if you mean thrown pottery ie using a wheel- yes that is not easy- it is a skill that comes with lots of practice and some strength. However there are hand building techniques such as coiling and slab building which are much easier.

You always have to factor in getting rid of the airbubbles in the clay at the start (otherwise the item can explode!) , ensuring that the joins are really carefully made and of course you have to have the where with all to fire your pot- access or ownership of a kiln.
    It is not a cheap hobby as you need the equipment, and it certainly isn't clean as you get covered in the stuff. Red clay is particularly bad- easier to work but stains hands and clothes. (oh and you generally need wet or damp hands while you are working or the clay dries out.)

If you want to try it out see if anyone runs an evening class locally. If not you might think about a weekend/ week residential holday. It would certainly give you a taste of using the medium as well as being lots of fun.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure