We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Housing benefit help.
Animosity
Posts: 7 Forumite
I'm a student and currently on PIP. I also get NI credits for ESA as it was deemed I "earned" too much to be awarded any payment. I don't work, have a disability and live in London.
I wanted to know if anyone had experience with claiming housing benefit as a student in London. the cost of housing here is so steep and I'm REALLY struggling to maintain my health and live here. I can't leave as I am in university here as well as therapy.
I get full student finance and student grant which equates to £12,000 a year.
I don;t know what information is relevant but any help would be greatly appreciated.
I wanted to know if anyone had experience with claiming housing benefit as a student in London. the cost of housing here is so steep and I'm REALLY struggling to maintain my health and live here. I can't leave as I am in university here as well as therapy.
I get full student finance and student grant which equates to £12,000 a year.
I don;t know what information is relevant but any help would be greatly appreciated.
0
Comments
-
What kind of help do you need Animosity?
There is a lot of info out there in the world for LHA and this may help? If you can specify what you need help on, we may be able to assist?
I just googled and found this...
9. Disabled students and housing benefit
Most students on full-time courses are excluded from housing benefit until their course ends. However, you can get housing benefit as a disabled student in a number of circumstances, including if you:
get income-related employment and support allowance (ESA), income support or income-based jobseeker's allowance as a full-time student;
have or are treated as having a limited capability for work under ESA rules for a continuous period of 28 weeks (two or more periods of limited capability can be added together if they are no more than 12 weeks apart);
qualify for a disability premium or severe disability premium, or you have been incapable of work for 28 weeks; or
you qualify for a disabled students' allowance because of deafness.
You can get housing benefit temporarily while waiting to return to your course after an agreed break because you were ill or had to care for someone. You can get housing benefit once you have recovered or your caring responsibilities have ended until either the date you return to your course or the date your education establishment has agreed you can return to your course, whichever is earlier, but only for a maximum period of one year and providing you are not eligible for a student loan or grant during this time.
Disability Rights UK Student Helpline
For further information on the above and the support that is available for disabled students, please contact the Disabled Students Helpline:
Tel: 0800 328 5050
Tues 11.30am-1.30pm & Thurs 1.30pm-3.30pm
Email: students@disabilityrightsuk.org
The helpline provides free information and advice to disabled students in England, their parents, carers and key advisers about opportunities in post-16 education and training. This includes further and higher education and apprenticeships. We also provide general information on the Equality Act as it applies to education and give advice on UK students' entitlement to welfare benefits.
We produce a range of factsheets covering these subjects and frequently asked questions which you can access through the education and skills section of our website at https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org.I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.
All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards