Does a debt collection agency HAVE TO default you

Options
I wanted to know what the guidelines are around debt collection agencies (DCA) defaulting arrears credit cards.

I have a number of credit card debts after a long period out of work, I have written to and negotiated reduced payments to the DCA's all have agreed to this.

Within a few months all (with one exception) defaulted my account which shows on the credit report as a D and will eventually come off the report after several years.

I checked my report recently to find that one DCA has not defaulted but keeps my score as 6 every month (6 meaning I am 6 payments behind). This is actually a problem as the defaults will eventually be removed but the 6 will stay as long as they keep posting it.

I have two questions;
1 - Are the DCA's allowed to do this or should an account have to be defaulted at a certain stage? Can I force the default
2 - Alternatively how do I offer a reduced amount settlement to a DCA. I know they buy them at a low level 5p / 10p in the pound. Can I negotiate a 15p in the pound settlement?

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You should be defaulted around 6 months after the date the agreement went into arrears, according to the ICO.

You are free to negotiate any settlement you wish with any terms you wish. Neither party is forced to accept an offer.
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport