Multiple defaults on one account

Options
My OH had a default on a CC from Alliance and Leicester in 2008. The account was brought back into order.

It was then taken over by MBNA who recorded a default in 2011.

Unbeknown to us, MBNA sold the debt to Moorgate. They never contacted him, presumably because he was paying a really hefty amount every month to try and clear it. It was £12,000 and is now almost clear.

We onlt knew that the debt had been taken over from his credit record. Moorgate have recorded a default every month since Jan 2012 to last month.

Is this right? Can 3 firms all record defaults on the same account? Although the Alliance and Leicester one has dropped off there doesn't seem to be anything that would let you know the defaulted MBNA and the defaulted Moorgate accounts are actually one and the same.

Also, how has he defaulted with Moorgate when they have never made contact or agreed payment terms?

Many thanks in advance for any advice
Sealed pot challenge member #325
£591.02 / £1500

£2 saver club member #83
Target £246 / £500

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    1 - Was there ever an actual default on the credit report in 2008 from A&L? If so what proof do you have? If the account was brought back into line within the 14/28 days, even though a default notice letter may have been sent, may not have had a default recorded on the actual report.

A default letter under s87 of the Consumer Credit Act is not the same thing as recording a default on your credit files. Although often they can happen at around the same time if you don't bring the account back into order.

2. Was default by MBNA in 2011 correct?

Was that on credit files? If so, did it show at the same time as the A&L one if it existed?

A D or 8 every month are not new default. Just status updates.

3. If MBNA sold to Moorgate, then then MBNA default entry one should at least have a debt assigned marker on it to show that it's not a separate account, but is the old part of the Moorgate entry.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Poppops
    Poppops Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2015 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for the reply.

There was a default recorded by Alliance and Leicester but I don't suppose I have proof of that now.

The default from MBNA was correct although I'm surprised they didn't do it earlier tbh

I can't see a debt assigned marker on the Moorgate one but will check again,

Do all debts that have gone to a DCA show a D every month?
    £591.02 / £1500

£2 saver club member #83
    Target £246 / £500
  • fermi
    Options
    I asked because if A&L recorded a default on your credit file, then any record placed on by subsequent owner of the account MUST use that same original default date.

There can only ever, or should only ever, be 1 default date registered for an account.

So that would mean you could demand that the newer ones are corrected for their date, which would make them drop off. ;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• fermi
    Options
    Poppops wrote: »
    I can't see a debt assigned marker on the Moorgate one but will check again,

Do all debts that have gone to a DCA show a D every month?

Debt assigned marker should be on the MBNA entry, to show that is an old copy record.

Defaulted debts that have not dropped off, gone to a DCA or not, should show a D (on equifax and callcredit/noddle) or and 8 (on Experian) each month, yes.

• Poppops
    edited 19 February 2015 at 4:18PM
    Options
    OK thanks very much.

One last question, I know (now) that a debt drops off your account 6 years after the default date.

Is this the MBNA one, Moorgate or both?
    £591.02 / £1500

£2 saver club member #83
    Target £246 / £500
  • fermi
    Options
    Any default entry and account info drops off 6 years from it's recorded default date. So if they are both or all the same they all fall off on that same date.

• Poppops
    Options
    Thanks very much
    £591.02 / £1500

£2 saver club member #83
    Target £246 / £500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories