Should i still be getting defaulted?

Options
Hi,

First time poster but after recently checking my credit rating i came across 2 companies (Nextcredit, Payday Express) are defaulting me.

I was on a DMP which ended in April last year after completing my payments for the DMP. Nextcredit & Payday Express where someone of my creditors but they where payed off just like my others.

All other accounts i had have been settled and are listed on my credit report as 0 balance but nextcredit & payday Express are still defaulting me for the full amount, are they aloud to do that despite being payed off?

If not what should i do about it? They have added nearly a years worth of extra defaults when they where payed off. If they are not meant to be on there can i get them removed? I've ben working really hard and rebuilding my credit and this is very damaging to the work ive been doing to rebuild.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Does it now say anywhere on the credit report entry that it is satisfied or settled?

If not you will need to complain, and demand that they mark it as such, showing that there is no outstanding balance now.

(Note: "default balance" is something different, as the amount that it was originally defaulted for, so never changes, even when settled)

Ds or 8s every month on a report after it originally defaulted are normal. They are not new defaults, but just status updates on the original default.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Yasho
    Yasho Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2015 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Both account are settled but on the report they still say Balance £1062 & £945 (going up each month) and the status for both is Default, I am aware that for me being late or not paying they can default but both accounts were payed off in april 2014 and they have carried on defaulting me since and from the balance history they have been adding interest also
  • fermi
    Options
    Then you need to complain and demand that they they record the default as settled or satisfied with no balance now owing, at the date you did pay it off.

Point out at present that the information on your report is inaccurate, so the are in breach Of the Data Protection Act 1998. That unless they correct it you will be reporting the to the ICO and taking them to the FOS.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Yasho
    Options
    Should i complain to them or go back to my DMP company (they informed after finishing if any problems arise to contact them).

If you suggest i should, is it best to do it by email & or post rather than phone so i have proof?
  • fermi
    edited 19 February 2015 at 9:35AM
    Options
    DMP company may help I suppose, but nearly always best to dispute direct in case you need to take it further, so you then have your own evidence that you disputed it and got no-where.

Post is usually better, but could try email at first.

- Raise a dispute through the CRA showing the incorrect info.
    - Write/email creditors with a dispute demanding that they correct the entry so they accurately show the settlement status of the account.

And account remains a default, even when settled, but it is marked as a settled one in some way.

• Yasho
    Options
    I know it will remain in default but i can get the last 9-10 months default taken off right? due to it being settled nearly a year ago
  • fermi
    Options
    Any settlement should be backdated to when it actually happened, yes.

• Yasho
    Options
    Ok, thank you been such a great help =)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business