Default on Credit File Twice

Options
Just checked my credit file (I'm slowly rebuilding a bad credit file) and have seen that Lowell have duplicated a default on my file..same start date, same default date, same original default amount!! I pay money of this default every month and strangely the account that they put on my file two days ago shows that I have been paying it off but they have just left the original default on there even though they are both the same Lowell account!! It's even more annoying that now because of this Experian is showing that I owe £1000 more than I actually do!!!

So I emailed Experian but haven't heard anything back yet..

What else should I do? I find Lowell extremely difficult to deal with and every time I ring them they tell me I should send in an income and expenditure sheet even though I am paying a set amount monthly and my financial situation hasn't changed since sorting out the payment plan!!!

Comments

• matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Are they both in Lowell's name or is one in the name of the original creditor?
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    If the original one is the original creditor and marked as "deb assigned" or similar, then that is OK. Means it won't be seen as duplicates by any creditor checking your file.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Harley8
    Options
    No both under the name of Lowell
  • ryan121
    ryan121 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have the same issue and they only did it this month for some reason. Everything is the same except the old default has the account number ending with the credit card number and the new default they've added has the account ending with their reference number. It's increased my credit card utilisation so has lowered my score so it definitely shouldn't be there.

I've contacted equifax so I'm just waiting to see what they say before I contact lowell.
  • Harley8
    Options
    Exactly the same here Ryan, it was updated a few days ago and it appeared. That's interesting that one is the cc number and one is their reference (the default was originally with capital one).

It's annoying as now my file is showing that I'm an extra £1000 in debt! :-(

Checked my Experian file and it's not on there, only on equifax.
    I'll update you when/ if I hear anything
  • fermi
    Options
    In that case you need to dispute it with Lowell, as they are only allowed to have the single entry for one debt on your report in their name.

As said, can have duplicates in old and new creditors names when debts are sold, which can be OK, so that is what I thought might have happened. Looks not though.

- Raise a dispute through the CRA showing.
    - Write/email Lowell with dispute demanding that they remove one of the entries and make sure that they keep the one they leave up to date.

Make it very clear in the complaint that there are two separate report entries in their name which is not allowed, rather than an old one from the original creditor marked as assigned. That if they do not you will be taking the complaint to both the ICO and FOS.

Lowell staff are not the sharpest tools in the box, so you need to be crystal clear on what is wrong otherwise they might misunderstand and think it's the usual duplicate from the original creditor which can be allowed, and so brush you off if they don't get it.

I would write, but you may CC whatever you put in writing to ComplaintsResolution @ LowellGroup. co. uk
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• Harley8
    Options
    Update: no reply from equifax but one of the defaults has now been taken off, I presume by Lowell
    Thanks for all your advice, hope Ryan that yours has been removed too
  • fermi
    Options
    Most likely, yes. Good. :)

Keep an eye to make sure it doesn't reappear though.

• ryan121
    ryan121 Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The new entry has been removed as well for me thankfully. I'll obviously keep checking in case it happens again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure