Still paying DMP, defaults gone, Mortgage possible?

Options
Hi guys, I have a few questions about my situation that I'd be grateful if you could help me with?!
I had about £25k worth of debt (hasn't dropped much either) and in 2003 I entered a paid DMP when my work situation changed and I couldn't afford the repayments.
My creditors all defaulted me within the first 6 months and all sold/passed on my debts to collection agents who agreed a schedule of between £1 and £10 a month depending on creditor. I have been paying about £35 a month via the DMP, over 1/3 of which they take for an admin fee.
I have since had loans and credit cards with other lenders and seem to have a good credit rating these days, but it's got me wondering...What happens if I apply for a mortgage in the future?
Do I have to declare this debt that still exists but isn't showing on my credit file? Would the creditors be able to see I have gained an asset in the house and demand a part of it?
Would it be better to try and do a full and final payment of say 10-15% (they've been getting a few quid a month for 12 years so I figure if I could get some cash together they would be more likely to accept a lump sum that equates to about 10 years worth of what I'm currently paying them). Finally, as the defaults are no longer on my credit file, what would happen if I stopped paying the collection agents? Would they or the creditors apply for a CCJ, and would that mean another 6 years before I can apply for a mortgage?
I'm finally getting my act together but I don't want this to put me back to square one so to speak, maybe I should let sleeping dogs lie just carrying on paying it for the foreseeable, although I'm worried about being asked what the standing order to the DMP is for when I show my bank statements to the mortgage company?!
Any advice would be great, thanks.

Comments

• rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Options
    If they asked about outstanding debts or previous defaults in the application you would be legally required to declare them. Yes they could apply for a CCJ even though the defaults have gone. CCJ unpaid within a month stays on your report for another full 6 years.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family