Overdraft query

Options
If I am in my overdraft most months, limit is £500 and i'm under this amount each month ?

Does this affect my credit score ?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why do think it wouldn't?

People are primarily either solvent (savings) or insolvent (debts). Being in debt increases the risk of default should one of the the 3d's strike. Death , divorce or distress (financial).
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    It will probably make lenders look at your negatively, yes. If possible, you should avoid using your overdraft at all.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It will probably make lenders look at your negatively, yes. If possible, you should avoid using your overdraft at all.

If hes managing it correctly would it not be positive?
  • JKSandy
    JKSandy Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    "If he's managing it correctly would it not be positive?"

The OP says he is in his OD each month, so if its in the minus on the date it gets reported to the CRA's then it could be seen by lenders that he his financially struggling.
    All that glitters is not gold.
  • xgingerx
    xgingerx Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I have and overdraft and its 2000 and often spend up to the limit throughout the month and I can tell you catagorically its has no worse negative effect than if you used your credit card to the max and paid it off each month. Obviously if the bank reports to credit agency the day when your maxed out then it would show your debt to income ratio to be high which could affect some companys wanting to extend further finance. As with credit cards as long as you stay within your limits it reports positive info on your file.
    Dmp Mutual Support thread member No 82
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport