We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Housing Benefit Whilst on SSP
hayward-kennedy
Posts: 13 Forumite
I am currently having to receive SSP due to a serious knee injury. Unfortunately, my employers use Bradford Factor scoring to decide on sick pay, and due to a couple of knee problems recently, SSP is all I'm entitled to.
Realistically, I'm likely to be off for about 2-3 weeks. I will then be going back in for a few weeks whilst waiting for surgery, when I will again be off and on SSP.
Unfortunately, the huge drop in income means I will not be able to pay my bills, including my rent. I've been told I may be entitled to Housing Benefit? CAB didn't seem to know, but told me to fill out a claim form and send it off. I spoke to the council aswell, and they were particularly unhelpful with advice. They did say if successful, it would take 6 weeks before I got any money through.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I've never claimed benefits before, but feel that surely this is a case where I should be entitled to do so? Does it matter that I won't be off work long-term? Maybe 4-6 weeks in total. And does it matter that it will be split into 2 separate absences?
Would I also get a Council Tax reduction, and does anybody know how much? I live with my partner who is working, but cannot possibly afford all the bills alone. We only just about get by when we are both on full pay.
Thanks.
Realistically, I'm likely to be off for about 2-3 weeks. I will then be going back in for a few weeks whilst waiting for surgery, when I will again be off and on SSP.
Unfortunately, the huge drop in income means I will not be able to pay my bills, including my rent. I've been told I may be entitled to Housing Benefit? CAB didn't seem to know, but told me to fill out a claim form and send it off. I spoke to the council aswell, and they were particularly unhelpful with advice. They did say if successful, it would take 6 weeks before I got any money through.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I've never claimed benefits before, but feel that surely this is a case where I should be entitled to do so? Does it matter that I won't be off work long-term? Maybe 4-6 weeks in total. And does it matter that it will be split into 2 separate absences?
Would I also get a Council Tax reduction, and does anybody know how much? I live with my partner who is working, but cannot possibly afford all the bills alone. We only just about get by when we are both on full pay.
Thanks.
0
Comments
-
You won't be entitled to a reduction of CT, your partner works full-time and you are still considered to be working full-time... I think the same goes for HB....it's a case of pulling in your belts for a few weeks.0
-
You won't be entitled to a reduction of CT, your partner works full-time and you are still considered to be working full-time... I think the same goes for HB....it's a case of pulling in your belts for a few weeks.
Can anyone confirm whether this is true? This is not what I've heard elsewhere. Pulling in our belts is not exactly an option. It's a big drop in income. Pulling in our belts would mean not eating, and not paying some of our bills0 -
You won't be entitled to a reduction of CT, your partner works full-time and you are still considered to be working full-time... I think the same goes for HB....it's a case of pulling in your belts for a few weeks.
Can anyone confirm whether this is true? This is not what I've heard elsewhere. Pulling in our belts is not exactly an option. It's a big drop in income. Pulling in our belts would mean not eating, and not paying some of our bills0 -
Poppie is not in the habit of giving out incorrect information, but if you want to check your entitlement to HB or CT reduction, perhaps you could check it out on the following Benefits calculators.
entitledto...
Turn2us...0 -
HB and CT reduction may of been an option if SSP was your only income but as you have a partner who works full time their income will also be taken into account.
The only way to confirm either way is to apply for both and see what happens.0 -
Poppie is not in the habit of giving out incorrect information, but if you want to check your entitlement to HB or CT reduction, perhaps you could check it out on the following Benefits calculators.
entitledto...
Turn2us...
I've have been known to be wrong:D...I just answer with the basics and leave the in depth answers to our very helpful resident experts.0 -
make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.0 -
Op, have a go at this and we will try to help you budget.
I appreciate that but I'd rather do my budget personally. I was just really looking to see what I'm entitled to. If it turns out I won't receive any help, then I'll have to work out my budget. However, I know it will mean not every bill will be paid. That's just the reality. Hence why I'd expect to be the exact type of person who would be entitled to some help!0 -
-
hayward-kennedy wrote: »Op, have a go at this and we will try to help you budget.
I appreciate that but I'd rather do my budget personally. I was just really looking to see what I'm entitled to. If it turns out I won't receive any help, then I'll have to work out my budget. However, I know it will mean not every bill will be paid. That's just the reality. Hence why I'd expect to be the exact type of person who would be entitled to some help!
Housing Benefit is means tested and depends on your household composition, income and age. How many of you in the property? How much is the rent and what is your joint monthly income?These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
