We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Halifax Clarity Card and Dynamic Currency Conversion

2»

Comments

  • Unusually for me, I've been roving around Europe a bit and getting cash out on Clarity/Zero.

    At a number of cash machines at airports I've noticed the previous user has left behind their ATM receipt which shows they "fell" for DCC. The last one was at Prague where, I believe, the loading was 8.9% over the "network rate".

    Can you imagine that... these poor sods lost 8.9% before they even got out of the airport! Even on a standard loading of 3%, they would have been 5.9% better off.

    Ouch!:eek:
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,465 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Here it is and I do realise that there is nothing to suggest what it might be used for but if it were purely for customer info it doesn't even tie with XE.com! Might take it up with the manager when I get there!!!!

    http://www.layanaresort.com/currency-converter.php

    I check the US$, Aus$ and euro and only the USD come close on xe.com............

    The error message currently being displayed on that page suggests the currency details are obtained from several sources:
    Warning: copy() [function.copy]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(http://www.ecb.int/stats/eurofxref/eurofxref-daily.xml) is not within the allowed path(s): (D:\websites\layanaresort.com\httpdocs\) in D:\websites\layanaresort.com\httpdocs\currency\currency.php on line 5

    I'd guess the ECB is used for the Euro rate; presumably other sources for other currencies.

    The error message also suggest the page may not have been generated using up-to-date information.

    And, as you say, it may be for information only.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.