Defaults incorrectly added to my credit file

Options
Hi there,

A few weeks back I applied for finance for a new car and was refused, which shocked me a little. I decided to log in to my experian credit report to see if anything had changed, which low and behold it had. Southern Water had listed a default on my account for £133.

The issue here is that between myself and my partner, we'd never missed any payments to this company. Obviously I was fuming. I instantly logged in to my partners experian account to find exactly the same thing. Both of our accounts had been punished by roughly 300 points. As you can imagine.. smoke was literally pouring from my ears. My partner immediately contacted Southern Water to contest the default.. and at first they said it was correct! The advisor then instantly changed her tune and explained that all our payments had been made on time and correctly but that there had been an administrative error on there end. They agreed to remove the default from both our accounts within 7-10 working days I don't see this as acceptable. They were unwilling to tell us how we could go in regards to compensation as this has had a huge negative effect on both our accounts.. and also led to myself being declined credit for a car.

My partner called them again 2 days later to seek clarification on the matter and was then told the original advisor had given incorrect information, and that the credit files are updated every 3rd Sunday of the month, which would've been yesterday. Our reports indicate that nothing has changed. Fuming again!

And then, to my great delight... I decided to get an account with call credit out.. this scenario had got me wondering that if one company could make such a mistake, what about the rest? So off I go.. create ny account, everything seems in order. Until I see a section which says closed accounts. I decided to click and to my amazement... "Orange brought to you by ee" shows up. I had an account with Orange since 2006. Originally I was fairly irresponsible being young and stupid I ended up with a default. I cleared the default in 2006 and made every single payment on time via direct debit since. However.. I left Orange and moved to T-Mobile in November 2013. So... you can probably understand my shock to see a default notice from Orange dated December 2013!!

At this point I was beyond fuming... just livid. To round ut off nicely, I work for EE..which owns both Orange and T-Mobile. I called Orange and explained the situation.. they looked back through my account and agreed that I hadn't missed a payment to them in over 8 years or so and said they would contact Call Credit, who I'd already lodged a dispute with, to clarify the matter.

I've heard nothing since. Southern Water claimed they would write to me and my partner to show the default had been removed, a week has past and we've had nothing. Working for EE as bad as it sounds, although the guy seemingly could so my payment history was correct.. h didn't fill me with confdence. He didn't even know who call credit were and referred to them as "who ever you said they were". The whole thing just seems like a huge mess and we don't know what to do.

I know this is long, but any sort of help or guidance would be appreciate. We just don't want to be left in a situation where these companies aren't willing to take responsibility for what they have caused.. and they think it is acceptable to leave us waiting, when it is affecting what we can do financially.

Comments

• JamieTale
    Options
    I'm having a similar experience. United Utilities (water) have put a default on my credit record in my previous address but I've never had an account with them in my previous address so I'm taking action to have it removed.

I've typed up a letter firstly asking them to remove the default within 28 days and explaining I have never had any dealings with them. Also said that if they cannot remove it immediately I'd like sufficient evidence to prove I am responsible for the debt and a copy of the judgement.

Sending my letter of today so will let you know what happens.
  • d-fletcher
    Options
    It's just driving me mad. I feel like we have taken all the appropriate steps but aren't getting anywhere. It can't be right that these major companies can have a detrimental impact on your lives financially but take as long as they please to amend the situation!

Surely there is more that can be done? Should we have to wait for them to rectify their errors? How is it right that I should have to accept being declined for credit because of their mistakes?

Frustrated beyond words.
  • JamieTale
    Options
    If you have waited too long you can try the council for water (I think that's what it's called) or the information commissioners office. That's what I intend to do if I get no where by writing to them endlessly.
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi D-Fletcher,

If you are having trouble getting Southern Water to update the information that they are supplying Experian we can query this with them your behalf, please contact us with the details.

For more information about what to do if you find incorrect information on your report take a look at our Ask James page here

I hope you find this helpful in getting your information correct.

Kind Regards
    Neil
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport