Refused credit with Vodafone but have very good credit score?

Options
Tinkerbell10
Tinkerbell10 Posts: 14 Forumite
edited 14 February 2015 at 5:43PM in Credit file & ratings
Hi everyone,

Today my boyfriend went to take out a new Vodafone phone contract, however he was refused credit and Vodafone couldn't say why?

He's currently with EE and to cut a long story short, in 2013 hackers took out multiple business accounts out in his name/address and racked up hundreds of pounds on his account. This was sorted and cleared almost immediately and we thought nothing of it until we decided to early bird a plot for a new home.
When I was checking our credit reports ready for our mortgage application I found a late payment was on his EE account from Dec 2013.
In November last year I wrote to EE to ask them to take the default off as it was their fault, they accepted this was there fault and this has since been wiped and is now showing as green.

I've since done a Noddle and Experian report and they're both showing as green with no defaults? What could the problem be?
I don't want us to be declined for a mortgage application a few months down the line especially if he can't even take out a new phone contract?? I just want to get this sorted ASAP!!

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No one else can see the credit score so don't focus too much on it. They don't have to accept him, no one is entitled to credit. You say you checked the credit files and no defaults, all green then its all OK.

Buy a phone and go sim only.
  • solentsusie
    Options
    My friend had the same problem with Three. She failed their credit score so they declined a contract. She then took out a sim only one and a few months later reapplied and they gave her a contract on a new iPhone.

No reason as to why she was refused first time round. Does your boyfriend have any credit accounts? An actual lack of credit can also be a hindrance as you cannot show that you have a track record of being a good credit risk.

Good luck.
  • Tinkerbell10
    Options
    He already has the contract with EE though so I don't understand?? Yes credit file is all green
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    This is another example of how the CRA system is not fit for purpose - to coin an overused phrase.

While it's maybe understandable that a vendor won't disclose a reason for rejection if that reason stems from their internal assessment, they should be obliged to disclose if the reason for rejection is because of data held about you by the CRAs (or is in part). Then at least you know where to start for putting things right.

Example: we rejected your application for "credit" because of adverse data held by xyz CRA.

Or: we rejected your application due to insufficient credit history held by xyz CRA.
  • Tinkerbell10
    Options
    Yes he has a contract with EE, who he's been with for 6 years with no late payments. The only problem he's had with them is their lapse of security and fraudsters hacking the account. He also has a nationwide loan that is nearly paid off. No credit cards or car finance though.
  • lovedayuk
    Options
    Hi,

Who did you use for your credit report, Vodafone uses Experian & Equifax.

There can be differences so I would check both.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What could the problem be?

Any numbers of factors could be the issue. A business sets it's own terms on which it will offer credit terms.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I wonder if a hunter / cifas marker is present
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure