MSE News: Single parents sent 'threatening' letters demanding proof they live alone

Options

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    It would be helpful to see the full text of this letter, so people can see what it actually says and not a few vague quotes.
  • byjimini
    byjimini Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Meanwhile a seemingly endless list of tax evaders are left untouched. Good to see that HMRC have their priorities intact.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given that separated couples paying spousal maintenance find it extremely difficult to convince the courts that the ex is cohabiting (one of the triggers for ending spousal maintenance), are we looking at a double standard here? One for benefits and a completely different one for the family courts?

And just how does one prove one is living alone?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Its great they are doing it, but say the likes of Wonga did the same there would be uproar on here like their was.

Also are they going to be able to cope processing the data in 30 days...
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    Some of the articles on here are as over hyped as the Daily Hate Mail.

If you get benefits and tax credits, then fair enough if you get asked to prove you are entitled to them.

What's the problem with that?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some of the articles on here are as over hyped as the Daily Hate Mail.

If you get benefits and tax credits, then fair enough if you get asked to prove you are entitled to them.

What's the problem with that?

I think one of the problems is that some of these letters are naming the person who is alleged to be living there is named.

"We are reviewing the inclusion of potential partners' names in letters as we understand this could be insensitive in some cases – we apologise for any distress this might have caused."
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it possible to PROVE you live alone? You could open the doors, invite them to count the toothbrushes and clothing that shows you live alone, but that is not proof in itself.

Surely once someone declares they live alone, it would be upto the Govt to do the easy bit and prove this is not the case, were that to be so.

Imagine the difficulty in proving you were unemployed and not working on the side for cash in hand.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    but how on earth are you expected to do that ? You could show that all the utility bills etc are in your name, but that doesn't necessarily prove that anyone else is not living there.

It would appear that they do list the things they want as evidence, mainly bank accounts.
    Meanwhile a seemingly endless list of tax evaders are left untouched. Good to see that HMRC have their priorities intact.

You've clearly missed all the recent advertising about hmrc doing checks on potential tax evaders then.
  • Teresa60
    Teresa60 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same letter before Xmas, my husband had left and moved to Malaysia. They say he is still living with me! They have asked for evidence. I have removed him from the council tax and electoral roll. He is staying with a friend he pays a bit of rent to, he gets cash in hand for a job (a temporary one). I have sent them a copy of the address where he lives. But this was still not enough for them, they want his utility bills, driving licence, bank statements. How can I ask this of someone who walked out on us? Why should I? I am struggling to pay the household bills, and really need my tax credits back to top up my low income. So I am awaiting their final decision, if it comes back as a refusal again they say I can take it to Tribunal?
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    Teresa60 wrote: »
    I had the same letter before Xmas, my husband had left and moved to Malaysia. They say he is still living with me! They have asked for evidence. I have removed him from the council tax and electoral roll. He is staying with a friend he pays a bit of rent to, he gets cash in hand for a job (a temporary one). I have sent them a copy of the address where he lives. But this was still not enough for them, they want his utility bills, driving licence, bank statements. How can I ask this of someone who walked out on us? Why should I? I am struggling to pay the household bills, and really need my tax credits back to top up my low income. So I am awaiting their final decision, if it comes back as a refusal again they say I can take it to Tribunal?

Did you remove him from the council tax and electoral roll before or after you got the letter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure