Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity Collectors

I dislike charity collectors knocking at my door or shoving themselves upon me in supermarkets. I don't mind poppy sellers at all I always buy one but other charities are getting worse in the tactics. I visit a relative in residential care and at least twice a week charity collectors go in there asking residents and staff for money, I don't know how they get in because the front door is locked and you have to buzz to get in also the stairwell can only be accessed by coded doors. They have no right walking into peoples personal spaces demanding money.
Britain is great but Manchester is greater

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    I have collected coins myself and certainly not shoved myself upon anyone. Collectors are generally told not to do this anyway.

If any collector chase you up or force you to donate, I'd suggest you should complain to the charity as I'm sure it is not their intention to give that impression.

For residential care, I'd suggest to ask care place as well. They probably let people in as it is a charity.If staff isn't happy, they won't let them in. If residents are not happy they would also probably complain. For that, I think you are a bit overreacting?
    However not sure why anyone wants to collect from people in care.

Overall I never seen any pushy charity worker with the occasional desperate Big Issue seller - which I cannot really say much as it isn't a easy job.
    ally.
  • HulkRogan
    HulkRogan Posts: 73 Forumite
    Personally I do not like anybody I dont know knocking at my door or trying to get me to give them money.

I live in Sweden and we have a lot of beggars coming here from from Romania to beg, and some of these folks are just absolutely crazy. There has even been cases when they just walking to people´s houses asking for money.

I hear you, personal space is a thing.
  • simpywimpy
    simpywimpy Posts: 2,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Here they are known as chuggers - charity collectors that 'mug' you in the street getting you to sign up to monthly payments etc. Do they get a bonus or something everytime they sign someone up?

I always refuse though, if I want to donate to something I will do it of my own accord. I dont need someone stopping me in the street
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Chuggers get up to £50 for everyone they sign up,bucket shakers outside charity shops get up to 50% of what they take.....one told me that he offers all the money to god.............he throws all the money into the air,what god wants god takes,what comes down he keeps.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure