We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Usenext demanding money.should I pay it

I signed up to usenext through a free trial emailed to me and I must have cancelled it as no payments were made.This was over a year ago but now I'm getting emails from a company called Aviteo who are threatening me with legal action because they say I owe them €161.I managed to retrieve my login and that month I signed up it states €0 (free trial) and then the next month a payment of €95 wasn't paid therefore I owe it and now with an extra amount on top because of fees of some kind.I'm reluctant to pay it but if I have to then so be it.I checked my credit file and there's nothing on it with regards to this company.
Some advice if you could please

Comments

  • Simple question, did you actually cancel? Did you do it by phone, letter or email? If you can't remember how, then you probably didn't.


    I've never used this company but many of these "free" trials rely on people not cancelling at the end of the free period and unwittingly becoming liable for the ongoing fees.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    IMHO, they are just trying on and are very unlikely to take 'legal actions' for €161.
  • PhenoM
    PhenoM Posts: 178 Forumite
    Short and simple - NO.

    Just ignore it. Nothing will come of it.

    PS - I find usenetbucket better.
  • Thanks for the replies.I actually found the original email when I signed up over a year ago and it does have a hell of a lot of jargon about having to cancel by letter and other strange means but they are so sly.It looks like they get a very very large proportion of their revenue from customers who unwittingly sign up for a year.What really gets me is that they have monthly packages which cost very little but for some reason they automatically sign you up for the ANNUAL package which costs nearly £100.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    petersiva wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.I actually found the original email when I signed up over a year ago and it does have a hell of a lot of jargon about having to cancel by letter and other strange means but they are so sly.It looks like they get a very very large proportion of their revenue from customers who unwittingly sign up for a year.What really gets me is that they have monthly packages which cost very little but for some reason they automatically sign you up for the ANNUAL package which costs nearly £100.

    There may be various tiers for a monthly sub that would differ on download caps. So if you were only usin the text groups you wouldn't need much. If you were using the alt.bin groups then you'd need a high cap.

    I suppose it's damned if they do and damned if they don't. Heavy users would complain about being put on low cap packages, light users would complain about being put on heavy use packages.

    But I think you can safely ignore it anyway. They can't put anything on your credit file and if they ever took it to small claims (unlikely) you'll have the choice of settling or defending it.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.