IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Court Action by Parking Eye

Options
In October 2014 I parked at the back of Royal Mail Street, Liverpool for 01:37 mins. I saw the Pay and Display notices and believed this area to be a council parking zone where you do not pay after 6pm until the following morning maybe 8 or 9am.

In November I received a Parking Charge Notice that informed me that I parked on private land. After all that I read about Parking Eye on the internet I believed this to be a scam and ignored it.

In December when I received their own 'letter before court action' I still ignored it and did not cave in to the pressure.

In February I received 'stamped court papers' for a potential charge of £175. Charges on the night would have been £2.50 and I could not believe they spent £25 on bringing this to court.

On what I understand here the charge is penal and is not proportionate to the loss of business and they do not believe that they are acting on behalf of a council authority, they claim private land.

I will keep you guys posted on the court date when I get it and invite anyone and the World Media to come and watch my defense at the Wigan Magistrates Court and would love any advice on how to beat these unscrupulous cowards that charge via ANPR cameras.

Comments

• N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    It is common for PE to take people to court and they will send qualified people to fight their case, not so much for the small money they can win, but for the publicity and added fear factor to post on their website of wins.

Make sure you are well prepared and don't treat it as an easy victory.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,638 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    First, you must acknowledge service of the court papers, this will give you a further 14 days in which to file your defence.

There's information on how to deal with all this in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky sticky - post #5 there.

You also need to purchase The Parking Prankster's Guide to facing PE at court. Written specifically for PE cases. It's only the price of a cup of Costa coffee, with proceeds coming back into the system to fund the purchase of completed court case transcripts.

Also have a read through PP's transcripts page, plenty of useful court case examples there to learn from.

http://www.parking-prankster.com/case-law.html

Please note, this is a civil case (not a criminal one), so there will be no appearance at any Mags Court; it will be a small claims court case and is unlikely to see any of the World's Media moving reporters and camera teams from Ukraine, Iraq or Syria in search of a better storyline! :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • menoexpert
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    ...small claims court case and is unlikely to see any of the World's Media moving reporters and camera teams from Ukraine, Iraq or Syria in search of a better storyline! :)

I'm not arguing that Ukraine, Iraq etc provide better storylines but this issue desperately needs highlighting somehow. The OP is yet another who, like me ignored PE letters for too long. Presumably because news of their changed tactics hasn't filtered through enough?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,638 Forumite
    Options
    menoexpert wrote: »
    I'm not arguing that Ukraine, Iraq etc provide better storylines but this issue desperately needs highlighting somehow. The OP is yet another who, like me ignored PE letters for too long. Presumably because news of their changed tactics hasn't filtered through enough?

There's been plenty of media coverage in one form or another iverton the past few months, but with tacit 'backing' from the DVLA, BPA, some SCC judges (particularly Moloney) and government, PE goes marching on with dozens of court cases week in, week out. Last year some 30,000+ court papers were served by PE, at their peak, over 1,000 papers per week!

The Beavis case is due in a couple of weeks, so we might be a lot clearer shortly on how private parking ticket court cases will stack up in the future.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • menoexpert
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    There's been plenty of media coverage in one form or another iverton the past few months, but with tacit 'backing' from the DVLA, BPA, some SCC judges (particularly Moloney) and government, PE goes marching on with dozens of court cases week in, week out. Last year some 30,000+ court papers were served by PE, at their peak, over 1,000 papers per week!

The Beavis case is due in a couple of weeks, so we might be a lot clearer shortly on how private parking ticket court cases will stack up in the future.

I understand that now but before I fell foul of PE and started my research here I was completely oblivious to any of this, still not too sure about the Beavis case. Even after extensive reading on here I came across many old threads which advise to ignore PE and although the Newbies thread says it's different now, it is very easy to get confused. Well for me anyway. I suspect there are many more like me out there?
    Apologies for the thread hijack, back to the OP
  • Cygnus_Alpha
    Options
    In October 2014 I parked at the back of Royal Mail Street, Liverpool for 01:37 mins. I saw the Pay and Display notices and believed this area to be a council parking zone where you do not pay after 6pm until the following morning maybe 8 or 9am.

In November I received a Parking Charge Notice that informed me that I parked on private land. After all that I read about Parking Eye on the internet I believed this to be a scam and ignored it.

In December when I received their own 'letter before court action' I still ignored it and did not cave in to the pressure.

In February I received 'stamped court papers' for a potential charge of £175. Charges on the night would have been £2.50 and I could not believe they spent £25 on bringing this to court.

On what I understand here the charge is penal and is not proportionate to the loss of business and they do not believe that they are acting on behalf of a council authority, they claim private land.

I will keep you guys posted on the court date when I get it and invite anyone and the World Media to come and watch my defense at the Wigan Magistrates Court and would love any advice on how to beat these unscrupulous cowards that charge via ANPR cameras.

Don't forget to read the stickies before you file your defence.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    the point is that the law changed for england and wales in october 2012 , thats nearly 2.5 years ago , 29 months ago or thereabouts (POFA 2012)

the advice on this very forum changed in feb 2013 (2 years ago) to appeal and go to popla, not ignore (ignore was advised prior to this timeline)

the OP mentions oct 2014 so 2 years after POFA 2012 and more than 18 months after the advice on here and pepipoo and CAG changed

there have been various news articles in the papers (last summer , july - aug) plus on watchdog yet again last year (maybe about june ?) and other tv programmes including a live debate on bbc parliament around early september 2014. so there is only so much publicity that can be put out there but I can assure people it is out there, hard to miss really although I agree some people are in their own little "bubble" and world events do overshadow these things

the Beavis case is on in 2 weeks time, in the COA , so a decision in early march we think

a good source of info is parking pranksters blogspot
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family