We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Graduate Overdraft - Applying for Credit Card

Hi there,

I am looking to apply for a 0% purchases credit card in order to purchase long-haul flights for myself and my boyfriend (c.£800 each).

I am currently teetering on my overdraft, however. I have a graduate overdraft of £1500, which was given to me automatically upon graduation last year. Since it took a while to get a permanent job, I have been using it and am now about £300 overdrawn. I hope to be out of it completely in the next month or two (and I eventually hope to transfer to a different bank account completely, when I am in a better financial position).

Does anybody know as to whether my overdraft will affect my chances of getting a credit card? I have used the MSE Eligibility Calculator and have been told that I have a 90% chance of being accepted for a couple of 0% cards (Halifax, M&S, Bank of Scotland), but of course I know that this check does not take into account all of the factors that a bank's credit check does. I know that nobody can give me a definitive answer but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

  • Are you using the credit card because you don't have the money available to pay for the flights now? Most people on here don't approve of using credit for holidays. If it's going to take you two months to pay off a £300 overdraft, you really shouldn't be putting a £1,600 holiday on a credit card.

    In regards to your question, yes it will affect it. Depends on what your other credit history is like as to whether it'll mean they deny you. If you've never had a credit card before, odds are you won't get accepted for a 0% Purchases card, or you'll get a very low limit.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

    ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.