EE credit check for Broadband and landline phone

Options
I am moving house and Virgin, my current supplier, who I have been with for more than 20 years do not supply my new address. So I have had to swap to EE for my area fibre optic, Sky do not do it but I am getting the TV from them. Sky just automatically say they are supplying it but EE are doing a credit check. I had been on a DMP, that finished last June, no debts now, in fact lots of spare cash in savings, so will the DMP possibly hamper my EE option and if so what if anything, can I do?
Paddle No 21 :wave:

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    it won't be a credit check per se - as they are not extending you any credit, you have to pay them on presentation of the invoice. they'll be looking for defaults from other utilities, so i'd treat it more as an ID check than anything else.

if they choose not yo accept you, it is their loss.
  • GibbsRule_No3
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    it won't be a credit check per se - as they are not extending you any credit, you have to pay them on presentation of the invoice. they'll be looking for defaults from other utilities, so i'd treat it more as an ID check than anything else.

if they choose not yo accept you, it is their loss.

Thanks for the reply, no defaults on any utilities, rent, council tax. Just two F&F settlements with M&S and John Lewis. HSBC and Barclaycard were paid in full. Never have managed to look at Noddle but when I did the Experian trial the pointer was in the mid 90's. Very green. This is the first thing I have had to swap to since the DMP so was a little concerned.
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    It's sort of a half credit check, mainly for ID. Although they have been known to turn people down with bad credit.

I'd just apply anyway and find out, I don't think you'll really have a problem apart from them putting a lower cap on your bill (if any changes at all)
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • GibbsRule_No3
    Options
    The email said it would take one day but nothing yesterday. What would they cap? Surely they just need to take the money for my Broadband service and that is a fixed amount, or it is with Virgin. Guess the fact that Sky were happy to take the money for the TV service I could always go with them for Broadband but it is not as fast, no Fibre from them to my new property, hence going with EE who seem to be the only area provider. Having had Virgin fast Fibre for so long, I have been spoiled and did not want to go back to the dark ages:rotfl: Anything is better than nothing, I don't drink or gamble but I think I need "Internet Deprieved Anonymous" if I cannot go online.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will you be saving a bit by paying the line rental in advance for the year?

I don't see why they would even bother with a credit check for someone paying over £100 upfront.
  • GibbsRule_No3
    Options
    Update.
    EE have now sent the confirmation email, obviously their one day response is really three days:) I was not offered a choice of paying upfront to save money, should it have been an option? Because Virgin could not continue to supply me they transfered the call automatically to SimplyDigital, who asked me what I had with Virgin and did I want a near matching product, hence no Sky for Broadband, since they also do not do Fibre Optic to th new property yet. I have a rather daft question and it is not credit related but when the Sky is set up will I need to have a TV at the property during the set up, or can they just deliver the box, plumb it in and when I move in I can just plug the TV in and set it up? I'm between homes at present move in/out is March. So TV is at old flat, BTW I don't have a car so driving it over and then bringing it back is not an option. If I need the TV in the property then I can delay installation.
  • yoshiyella
    Options
    Update.
    EE have now sent the confirmation email, obviously their one day response is really three days:) I was not offered a choice of paying upfront to save money, should it have been an option? Because Virgin could not continue to supply me they transfered the call automatically to SimplyDigital, who asked me what I had with Virgin and did I want a near matching product, hence no Sky for Broadband, since they also do not do Fibre Optic to th new property yet. I have a rather daft question and it is not credit related but when the Sky is set up will I need to have a TV at the property during the set up, or can they just deliver the box, plumb it in and when I move in I can just plug the TV in and set it up? I'm between homes at present move in/out is March. So TV is at old flat, BTW I don't have a car so driving it over and then bringing it back is not an option. If I need the TV in the property then I can delay installation.

Sky will install without a TV but they will not know if it has been set up correctly so if that happens you will then have to pay for them to come back out again! I would leave installation until the day you move in if that is an option for you!
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is there somewhere, but I don't know when or where it gets presented in the sign up process.

** Line rental £11.00 a month if you pay 12 months upfront (£132), otherwise £15.75.

https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home.do
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport