We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

using credit card for overseas payment

Hi,

I'd like to purchase some genealogy documents from the Netherlands. I've spoken to the department involved and have the costs of the items. However, as I've never made an overseas payment, I don't know what other costs/fees might be involved.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a general overview?

Thanks for your time,

Tim
Old Mortgage: [STRIKE]2009:£78500 2010:£76951.71 2011:£74414.49 2012:£71961.35 2013:£67813.54 2014:£64375.16 Current: £55,480.27[/STRIKE]

New Mortgage: 2016: £92795 Current: £
87999.99

Comments

  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    TimmySaver wrote: »
    ...

    I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me a general overview?
    MSE article: Your Card's Overseas Charges
  • redux
    redux Posts: 23,146 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 11 February 2015 at 12:39PM
    It's straightforward, like any other transaction.

    Most credit or debit cards charge the MasterCard or Visa official exchange rate for the day, plus an extra currency loading of up to 3%, though there are a few cards with zero loading. One or two banks' debit cards also charge a per transaction flat fee of £1.50 or so.

    If the cost is relatively modest it's probably not worth the effort of getting a new account just to save a quid or two for one transaction, but if there may be more later or if you go abroad from time to time then you might look for a card without loading.

    If you don't want to bother with a new credit card there are also prepaid debit cards for which you transfer money on in advance. Of these I'd choose Kalixa which has the best exchange rate.

    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
  • Thank you both, the information you've given is really helpful. :)
    Old Mortgage: [STRIKE]2009:£78500 2010:£76951.71 2011:£74414.49 2012:£71961.35 2013:£67813.54 2014:£64375.16 Current: £55,480.27[/STRIKE]

    New Mortgage: 2016: £92795 Current: £
    87999.99
  • TimmySaver wrote: »
    Thank you both, the information you've given is really helpful. :)
    I've thanked this post for a couple of reasons.
    • You clicked the post_thanks.gif buttons on the posts which gave you useful information.
    • You took the trouble to say "Thanks" to them.
    Very refreshing and I wish more people would remember. Happy genealogying :)
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.