IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UCS Parking Ticket in own bay

Options
timmah86
timmah86 Posts: 34 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 10 February 2015 at 11:51PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi all,

My apologies in advance for posting this. I've had a few reads of the newbies thread and I think I'm probably being a bit daft but I just want to check what I should be doing next.

Simple scenario:

Parked in my own bay at home (rented flat) and didn't have my permit displayed as it (genuinely!) fell off my dash and I don't have a holder for it.

Got a window ticket from UCS limited the following day for £100, £50 if paid early.

I just want to know if I should be appealing now or waiting until a Notice to Keeper is sent? In the newbies thread it says:

Consider waiting for the postal 'Notice to Keeper' in MOST cases, unless it is NCP or Meteor or WING or a small PPC like 'JAS' or 'JD Parking Consultants' or 'UCS parking Ltd' or 'P4Parking aka Nighthawk' who faff about sending debt collector letters and don't even send a NTK. If so, latest advice is to avoid the debt collector rubbish and in the case of the firms listed above, appeal after around 21 days but as the KEEPER, not driver, using the same template below.

So I should wait 21 days then appeal to UCS directly? Why 21 days if that's the case?

Thanks all

Tim

Comments

• Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My thought is yes ... but please wait for better informed forum members to concur ....

however in the meantime ....

what does your lease say?
    have you complained to the landlord / management company ?

if not then do so now.

Ralph:cool:
  • timmah86
    Options
    Ralph-y wrote: »
    My thought is yes ... but please wait for better informed forum members to concur ....

however in the meantime ....

what does your lease say?
    have you complained to the landlord / management company ?

if not then do so now.

Ralph:cool:

Thanks for answering - I think there have been cases here before where people have complained to the management company and gotten nowhere, they are just told to pay.

Anyone care to weigh in about the 21 days thing?
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    Yes awaiting the NTK is the way, they fail to send it you have a legal defence of no keeper liability.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    timmah86 wrote: »
    Thanks for answering - I think there have been cases here before where people have complained to the management company and gotten nowhere, they are just told to pay.

Anyone care to weigh in about the 21 days thing?

If you look at your lease, and it mentions nothing about the need to display a permit then why are you displaying a permit.
    The lease trumps anything that a PPC or the management company can come up with.
    If you can post up the sections in the lease that relate to parking/parking spaces then people on this forum will be able to offer better advice, and you will also have a full understanding of where you stand.

Further more, in most cases the management company is liable for the actions of its agents, in this case the parking company if your being harassed, intimidated or even having your time wasted as a result of the actions of the management companys agents then the management company can be held liable.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Be careful of any lease terms that allow the management company to vary services and appoint agents etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure