We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Will my card protect me if I cancel my holiday
jamestay1
Posts: 73 Forumite
in Credit cards
Last year I booked a holiday with Sykes Cottages which included cancellation insurance. This year I want to go to the same cottage but pay the owner direct.
If I pay with my credit card ( hsbc) will I be protected if I cancel the holiday for whatever reason ?
Thanks
If I pay with my credit card ( hsbc) will I be protected if I cancel the holiday for whatever reason ?
Thanks
0
Comments
-
Not unless there is a problem with the services provided, or your card is one, like the amex charge card, which has built in travel insurance when you pay for something with it.
You need travel insurance otherwise.0 -
Paully232000 wrote: »Not unless there is a problem with the services provided,
And that is assuming you are paying the owner directly into a Merchant account, if you are paying them by the likes of Paypal or similar there would be no protection in relation to the servies.0 -
Even if you have travel insurance, the cancellation must be for an insurable reason. Changing your mind, bad weather, etc would not be valid reasons.0
-
Even with travel insurance you need a pretty serious reason to cancel.
Such as - death/funeral/serious illness of close family member.
Health issue stopping you travelling.
That's the sort of thing, so if you aren't too sure then get a hotel that you can cancel 48 hours before free of charge. Many sites like booking.com do this.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards