We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Pay off loan with credit card
bev2951
Posts: 3 Newbie
in Credit cards
I took out a loan of £500 with 272.2% APR which means I pay back £910 over 12mths ,would be better to pay that off with credit card of 29% apr over same 12mths, bringing my monthly payments down to £40 instead of £80.
Thanks for any help.
Thanks for any help.
0
Comments
-
The first problem you may have is whether the loan company will allow you to pay it with a CC.
If not then you need a CC which allows money transfers to a bank account, and then with the money, pay the loan off.0 -
Taking that they will,, is it more prudent to do this?0
-
I have a feeling that Provident don't allow CC payments, only debit card.
But, if I am wrong, or it isn't provident, and the company do, then it would be wise to pay it off with a CC as the interest on the CC you state is going to be less.0 -
Thanks for advice.
Yes it is Provident (wondering how you knew that ?)
If they dont accept CC could I withdraw cash on CC and pay it off that way.0 -
Yeah at that rate you are still going to be better off drawing cash (normally about 3% charge + whatever APR from the day you withdraw it).
Edit: or buy stuff you'd normally pay for with cash/debit using the credit card and use the cash to pay off the loan. Might take you a while to transfer the £500 over though but will still save you money.0 -
Yes, I wouldn't normally say that withdrawing cash from a CC is a good idea, but even if you did, I would suspect that the interest rate for cash advances, plus fee for taking money out is going to cost you less over the year than the loan.
and the interest rate you quoted gave it away:)
before you do anything I would phone provident and ask them how much it will cost to pay off early, and see how much they quote you.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards