We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Does Santander contactless card request change number?

I rang to request a contactless version of my 123 card today and the customer service agent said my current card would be blocked while a new card was issued. However he could not say if the card number would change as a result, so I withdrew the request for the moment and said I would wait until renewed next year (too much hassle changing card cancellation protection and online sites).

Does anyone have any experience of this they could share? Will the card number change?
MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j

Comments

  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Gizmo247 wrote: »
    I rang to request a contactless version of my 123 card today and the customer service agent said my current card would be blocked while a new card was issued. However he could not say if the card number would change as a result, so I withdrew the request for the moment and said I would wait until renewed next year (too much hassle changing card cancellation protection and online sites).

    Does anyone have any experience of this they could share? Will the card number change?

    If you order a replacement online, it has the same number and the older one isn't cancelled.
  • If you order a replacement online, it has the same number and the older one isn't cancelled.
    What I'm getting from OP's post is that they don't currently have a contactless card, and rang to get one. If they just request a replacement card online, odds are it won't be contactless.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

    ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    What I'm getting from OP's post is that they don't currently have a contactless card, and rang to get one. If they just request a replacement card online, odds are it won't be contactless.

    It will be. They are issued as standard now.
  • It will be. They are issued as standard now.
    Within Santander or as a whole? I know people who've been refused contactless cards due to their credit rating.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

    ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • Within Santander or as a whole? I know people who've been refused contactless cards due to their credit rating.
    Thanks for the replies.

    As it is a credit card there should be no credit rating issue with a 123 card. I've tried the online route and will report back on the result.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • Just a quick update: The card is now received and when ordering online I can confirm that the card number has changed and it is contactless. This may bethe consequence of doing it online, changing to contactless or just inevitable, who knows!
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • Toe-Jam
    Toe-Jam Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    It will be. They are issued as standard now.


    They are not issued as standard. They are only issued on cards with the silver numbers.

    If you have a card starting 4757 your card replacement will not be contactless.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,322
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm expecting a new 123 CC to arrive soon as my existing card expires next month.

    I can see my new card number online, alongside my existing card number. Both these card numbers have identical balances and transactions. I messaged them to ask why there was a new card number. They said the old number would become invalid as soon as I used the new card and the duplicate transaction record would then disappear.

    The old card is not contactless, I expect the new one will be contactless.
  • arbs
    arbs Posts: 6 Forumite
    hi
    my card was just renewed and i was expecting a contactless card but only received the standard one, i have the black 4757 numbers, what is the reason, i don't understand why my card is different, I've had this account for over 10 years know ?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,031
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why didn't you start a new thread instead of resurrecting an eighteen month old thread?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.