We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Debt consolidation on credit card
Anonimas
Posts: 21 Forumite
in Credit cards
My partner has accumulated some debt in the form of a personal loan, entering overdraft and a credit card.
Most of these are historic and she's no longer accumulating debt (except interest of course) from being money-stupid in the past; now I'm trying to get her out of it.
In theory I've come up with a solution, but I don't know if it's possible:
- throw her loan onto her credit card, I assume then she'd save some money on early repayment and still be able to utilise the 0% balance transfer
- use the remaining credit card credit to pay off her overdraft
- initially only maintain the minimum repayment for the credit card, throwing most of her disposable cash at the overdraft
- once overdraft is paid, throw the money at the credit card
- when she's out of the 0% balance transfer phase, switch to another 0%
In theory it seems easy, I'm guessing the powers that be will make it more difficult in practice?
Most of these are historic and she's no longer accumulating debt (except interest of course) from being money-stupid in the past; now I'm trying to get her out of it.
In theory I've come up with a solution, but I don't know if it's possible:
- throw her loan onto her credit card, I assume then she'd save some money on early repayment and still be able to utilise the 0% balance transfer
- use the remaining credit card credit to pay off her overdraft
- initially only maintain the minimum repayment for the credit card, throwing most of her disposable cash at the overdraft
- once overdraft is paid, throw the money at the credit card
- when she's out of the 0% balance transfer phase, switch to another 0%
In theory it seems easy, I'm guessing the powers that be will make it more difficult in practice?
0
Comments
-
Does her card offer a money transfer option? She'll need that for the loan and overdraft, not just a balance transfer option.
What are the rates on her current debt? And what is the go to rate on the card? You need to consider the possibility of not being able to get another 0% card when the current promo ends.0 -
Sadly I don't think it does, so that might kill this in the water.
I wonder if we could utilise my good credit rating to do this in my name, get the 0% for however long.
What's the likelihood of not being able to source another 0% card?0 -
Sadly I don't think it does, so that might kill this in the water.
I wonder if we could utilise my good credit rating to do this in my name, get the 0% for however long.
What's the likelihood of not being able to source another 0% card?
That all depends on how much credit debt you have, income, past use of credit whether you can get a 0% BT/money transfer card.
It is possible with all but a few cards to transfer debt from one person to another.0 -
List up the debts and interest rates."Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!0
-
Foxy-Stoat wrote: »List up the debts and interest rates.
These are the details I've been given:
HSBC overdraft: £1300 @ 19.9
HSBC loan: £4009.68 remaining (3856.44 pay off price), original loan £7000 @ 3.9%
NatWest CC: 3285.34 @ 11.1%0 -
Rates are not that scary, maybe try and get a loan and clear the over draft and get HSBC to cancel the facility.
Resist the temptation to get a larger loan over a longer term to reduce the monthly payments as this type of consolidation rarely goes well."Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!0 -
These are the details I've been given:
HSBC overdraft: £1300 @ 19.9
HSBC loan: £4009.68 remaining (3856.44 pay off price), original loan £7000 @ 3.9%
NatWest CC: 3285.34 @ 11.1%
she could
-try for a superbalance (money ) transfer CC
or
-try for a 0% purchase card and use this for spending so allowing her OD to reduce
the loan is a good rate and best left alone for now.EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
Thanks folk, some great advice there - I especially like the idea of utilising the CC to reduce her overdraft.0
-
I would leave the loan - just make overpayments when you can - with a balance transfer fee or cash/money transfer fee it is not worth consolidating this.
Try to get a new card for the overdraft and NW card.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards