We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Warning about Experts Exchange (IT Professionals website)

Have had a nightmare with these recently. Total con artists.
They're a pretty well know subscription based forum for IT Pros.

Anyway, spoke to rep online chat last weekend. They offered me a deal for $19.95. So I signed up with credit card and the rep said ok all done for £19.95.

That was the first thing - I pointed out we'd agreed $19.95 not £19.95 and they said they thought it'd be more convenient since I was from UK. Yeh nice try its £6 or so more.

So they had to refund that and I agreed to $19.95. Checked my statement $109.95 taken. Straight back on refund again.

Latest one. Someone has used my credit card in a supermarket in California - where they're based. Too much of a co-incidenece!

Comments

  • jpwjpw
    jpwjpw Posts: 274
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ring your bank, they should be able to sort this out.

    BTW, I don't know anybody in IT that uses that forum. It's been a well known rip off for years and there are many (better) free forums and knowledge bases that you can use.

    Or just learn how to use Google like most IT pros do ;)
  • Thank you jpwjpw for your opinion on EE. Each to his own.

    I agree its never worth the full subscription I agree but they offered me basically £2 a month.

    And yes thank you I do know to use google. But for £2 a month my subscription is pretty much paid for before I take my coat off on the first monday of the month.
  • Malmo
    Malmo Posts: 710
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm surprised that anyone would pay for Experts Exchange.
    Try Stack Overflow or any one of a number of IT & programming subreddits over at Reddit.com (e.g. /r/programming).
  • Yes its 'OK' and nothing more but like I said £2 a month is worth it IMHO for what I use it for.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I once visited that site for an ExpertSexChange, I was very disappointed.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.