We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Complaints over banks' handling of power of attorney rising

Options
2»

Comments

• southwinds
    Options
    Intelligent Finance Anyone dealing with this account may have a problem . I am currently dealing with the Ombudsman over my fathers IF account. They tell me its an current account and is on line only no cheque book or bank card. AND POAs cant for security issues have access to the on line account . SO we have a huge amount in savings sitting in a current account where we may have to one day soon pay for a care home from it and no way of accessing it. MARTIN you need to look at what each bank does and warn people what each banks procedures are . Dad thought leaving the POA paperwork would make it easier which it has but having an account nobody can access it making life difficult.
  • Mav6215
    Mav6215 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    I would say that IF need to be educated with respect to dealing with a PoA. Unless there are restrictions in place within the PoA then the attorney has the power to access all accounts whether online only or in person, etc. as if they are the donor.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    My OH has been dealing with his mum's affairs with an LPA.

Once the LPA has been registered with the bank, things have been OK. But twice in a row when he took the original LPA to be registered the staff took the document to a back office to photocopy, and handed him back the original with a page missing. Once the page was found on the photocopier and posted to him, the other time he realised it was missing and had to get them to check their file, and luckily they found they had the original page in the middle of their photocopies.

The LPA has numbered pages, but there are also two pages in this LPA which are vital but are not included in the page numbering.

So get certified copies, but also make sure you know exactly how many pages are in the original, and count them out and count them back - and double check that all the pages they return to you are the originals and not one of their photocopies.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My brother and I took out a POA/LPA in respect of our Dad a few years back.

We needed to sell his house, and take over the bank account now as he's in a nursing home and totally incapable of managing his own affairs.

We have been dealing with HSBC, which was his bank, and although I don't bank with them, I can't praise them enough.:T

They have been really helpful and efficient doing this, so perhaps some banks are improving!

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport