how is NEA allowance paid?

Options
I've recently signed onto the NEA scheme and had my business plan approved and have a meeting with my advisor on Tuesday to make the finishing touches to my word plan (the one you get 8 weeks to do).

I'm just wondering once I start getting the £68 week, do I need to go to the job centre to sign every two weeks (as is for jsa).
Just wondering how they ask you to prove that i'm actually working on my business basically.
It's a dog walking and pet care business by the way.

Thanks

Comments

• newsunshine
    Options
    Hi loztredders, I can't answer this but could I be cheeky and ask you for some advice please? I was about to make a post about NEA because I've been struggling to find much info about it, and I'd really appreciate if you could share your experience with it (and anyone else who has been on it).

I took voluntary redundancy a few years ago after many years of work, and have been living off my settlement & savings ever since. For a few reasons I didn't jump straight back into employment, then got injured and had to have surgery which set me back again, but my savings are pretty much exhausted now so it's critical I get going with something. I've got what I think is a really good business idea and I've been working out business plans and details but I'm now struggling for cash to get going (stock, equipment, insurance, web hosting... loads of small costs to get started add up!). NEA would be ideal to help me get started, especially access to the start-up loan, and having a mentor/adviser would be hugely helpful too.

Thing is, I'm not on JSA, and in fact I've never claimed benefits of any kind before so I'm extremely apprehensive about the whole thing. As I understand it, you have to make a claim for JSA to start with but can immediately ask to go onto the New Enterprise Allowance scheme. But I've heard elsewhere that some job centre staff don't know/care about the scheme at all and will make it difficult for you. I don't actually want to be on JSA at all as I'm certain that with just a little support I can create my own job, but I'm worried that I may get forced into job searches and all the other stuff when I really want to be working full-time on building a business.

What was it like for you getting started with it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure