Son in hospital - what financial assistance might be available?

Hi

Our son aged 7 has been in hospital since September and has had six major operations since that time. Hoping he might be well enough to come home by end of February. Wife has been living in hospital since September too.

I won't go into great detail but he went into hospital fully able-bodied (albeit with a medical condition requiring major surgery) and is now currently recovering slowly from surgery that went wrong and left him paralysed from the chest down. Hoping he will make a good recovery but it's a long road.

Up until recently I haven't given any thought to looking at what help or financial assistance might be available. My income is such that I do not qualify for any of the work related benefits, which means we cannot claim for any hospital travelling expenses. That said, we are not "rich" by any means and I have already spent nearly £2000 on fuel and car parking visiting hospital since September.

I only have recently realised that I can apply for a 25% discount on council tax as I am the only person living in the house at the moment. That might be worth £45 per month.

Our son is very likely to qualify for DLA and an application for this is now in progress. Even though the surgery went "wrong", I do not personally believe that medical negligence comes into play, but we may consider options there at a future time, depending how well he recovers.

Is there anything else I should/could look at?

This is the first time I have ever turned to the state for help so I am not fully aware of everything that might be available. Have worked and paid NI/tax every month since I left uni, 18 years ago.

Comments

• Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The two immediate things that jump out are the council tax and dla claim.... You won't qualify for the single person discount as she is still a resident of your home and staying temp at the hospital with your son.
    The second issue is the DLA he will not qualify until he is discharged from hospital...
    Others will be along soon with some possible help.
  • atolaas
    atolaas Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Contact your local CAB office and find out what (if any) benefits and reductions you may be entitled to.
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared :j
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
  • sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 1 February 2015 at 12:46AM
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    The second issue is the DLA he will not qualify until he is discharged from hospital...

But it's OK to apply before discharge, the DLA would simply be dated from the discharge date.

You might find these sites useful as well as visiting CAB:
    http://www.cafamily.org.uk/know-your-rights/benefits-and-tax-credits/
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Most hospitals have parking concessions for frequent visitors, bit late in the day to help you though.
  • mlp
    mlp Posts: 128 Forumite
    Parking concession works out at £2 / 24 hours which is only marginally beneficial as the normal rate is £2.20 for 4 hours. I usually visit for a couple of hours each evening, so it doesn't really make a lot of difference - but every little helps.

Yes, DLA won't be paid until discharged from hospital.
  • mlp
    mlp Posts: 128 Forumite
    Poppie68 wrote: »
    You won't qualify for the single person discount as she is still a resident of your home and staying temp at the hospital with your son.
    Having re-read the council tax guidance notes, I think you're probably right. :(
  • Poppie68
    But it's OK to apply before discharge, the DLA would simply be dated from the discharge date.

You might find these sites useful as well as visiting CAB:
    http://www.cafamily.org.uk/know-your-rights/benefits-and-tax-credits/
    http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Correct... I missed that part off as they have already applied..and I'm typing left handed on a piddly mobile phone key pad....trying to hard to correct some bizarre predictive words that I miss things off...sorry OP.
  • Poppie68
    Try the benefit calculator linked by sleepless saver..their could be something your missing.

I don't want to pry over your sons condition.... see if there is a foundation linked to his condition,/illness they may be able to pinpoint you to a fund source.
    Do you take relatives with you to visit? If you do don't be ashamed to ask them to contribute or maybe get them to drive you there and back sometimes.
  • Confuseddot
    Confuseddot Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    Have you looked at the hc11 form ? You may qualify for some help under the low income scheme.
    Play nice :eek: Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me.:j
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Once your son gets DLA ( as long as Middle or higher rate care) your wife may be able to claim Carer's Allowance as long as she's not working.
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport