PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying land for building.

Mgman1965
Mgman1965 Posts: 249 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 31 January 2015 at 10:45PM in House buying, renting & selling
I want to do a self-build like my dad did some years ago where to reduce costs he bought a large plot/field without planning permissions after speaking to planning officers discreetly as to the likelihood of getting planning permission (which he got).

He bought the land, divided it into 3 plots, one the size, shape and position he wanted, and two others, which he then sold on with outline planning permission meaning his plot actually cost him nothing.

Problem I'm having is all decent land (even houses with large gardens) seem now to have clauses about if it's developed the original seller gets a cut of the increase or resale price (one small field with no permissions I really liked, had a clause the seller got 60% of the increase in value if all or part was sold for development within 40yrs !!!!!)

Is there any way round these clauses and would a seller have any claim if it was developed just for me and not for selling on like my dad did with part of his ?

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Mgman1965 wrote: »
    Is there any way round these clauses and would a seller have any claim if it was developed just for me and not for selling on like my dad did with part of his ?

Hi Mgman

If you voluntarily sign an agreement with overage/uplift condtions, then you will be bound by all it's clauses.

If you want a clause about 'developing just for yourself', then you can ask/negotiate with the seller, to see if they will agree.

Normally, an overage/uplift condition is triggered when planning consent is granted - not when the property is sold.
  • eddddy wrote: »
    Hi Mgman

If you voluntarily sign an agreement with overage/uplift condtions, then you will be bound by all it's clauses.

If you want a clause about 'developing just for yourself', then you can ask/negotiate with the seller, to see if they will agree.

Normally, an overage/uplift condition is triggered when planning consent is granted - not when the property is sold.

The clause basically said if any or all of the land was used for development within 40yrs the vendor would be entitled to 60% of the uplift. I forget the exact words it was very legal speak !!!!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So your choices are:

- Buy it and then pay 60% of the uplift in due course.
    - Before you buy it, negotiate to get the clause changed or removed
    - Walk away
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mgman1965 wrote: »

Any decent overage clause would be triggered by the development of the site rather than merely by a sale. Even if you're genuinely just going to live there, you've still got the benefit of a big uplift in the value of your property.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is highly unlikely you will find someone willing to sell you land without wanting to profit from any future development value. Estate agents and developers will scour the countryside looking for land that has potential for development and providing they can make a profit will pay accordingly.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Those days are gone my friend, landowners are wiser.
  • 6_6_6
    6_6_6 Posts: 65 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2015 at 2:43AM
    What a great government we have that allows this. We are in a property market catastrophe, average propriety prices 11 times average salary, yet they allow such sick twisted clauses to be legally binding, ultimately undermining and decimating property development in England, the very thing they harp on about generating, such is the farce.

You say wiser, I say pathetic. Despite the outrageousness that is any tom !!!!!! or harry being able assure themselves to an unjust planning windfall at other peoples expense, where do you think the costs are going to be passed onto? (Ok swearing and threats is banned so this will have to do..) Your children.

Self-build is mostly a fantasy for all but the most well-heeled of CEOs or those lucky enough to build on there own swaths of free land these days, since all the smaller plots have now been snapped up circa 5 years ago, whats left is dismal and often passed under the tables of the evil estate agents lest having to deal with the final blow of your typical greed possessed land owner. Our current planning laws are so restrictive they will always render any true hope of countrywide self-build prospects, empowering the people etc , nothing more than a pipe dream. The whole position is perverse.

What you have to realise is, land prices drive property prices too. The old and so called established rule where by you should work backwards from what the end property value would be - 30% - Build costs = What the land should cost, seems to be lost on 99% of land sellers, lest they care, and certainly estate agents act as if you've just swore at them and continue to invent their BS valuations from thin air!

Your government only concern is propping up the GDP though over inflated foreign investment in our property market, at the expense of our children. It’s all short termism and self-interest. Time to get militant on their aѕѕ or Good luck, but this country is fu?*ed! Time to look elsewhere! . . . hang on... ahh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Collect your reward :j
    V0xOT09PV1RFR0FFTUNFQkUyRURFVU5VQU9JQUNSTU9JMFIxTE9ZUllSWUJOSEtQRURTWCU=
  • booksurr
    booksurr Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    6_6_6 wrote: »
    What a great government we have that allows this. We are in a property market catastrophe, average propriety prices 11 times average salary, yet they allow such sick twisted clauses to be legally binding, ultimately undermining and decimating property development in England, the very thing they harp on about generating, such is the farce.

You say wiser, I say pathetic. Despite the outrageousness that is any tom !!!!!! or harry being able assure themselves to an unjust planning windfall at other peoples expense, where do you think the costs are going to be passed onto? (Ok swearing and threats is banned so this will have to do..) Your children.

Self-build is mostly a fantasy for all but the most well-heeled of CEOs or those lucky enough to build on there own swaths of free land, since all the smaller plots have now been snapped up circa 5 years ago, whats left is dismal and often passed under the tables of the evil estate agents lest having to deal with the final blow of your typical greed possessed land owner. Our current planning laws are so restrictive they will always render any true hope of countrywide self-build prospects, empowering the people etc , nothing more than a pipe dream. The whole position is perverse.

What you have to realise is, land prices drive property prices too. The old and so called established rule where by you should work backwards from what the end property value would be - 30% - Build costs = What the land should cost, seems to be lost on 99% of land sellers, lest they care, and certainly estate agents act as if you've just swore at them and continue to invent their BS valuations from thin air!

And people laugh off the subject of Fluoridated water supplies retarding the masses. Funny, I drink filtered water, no not the mold infested joke that is a Britta filter pot, properly maintained CB + Ion exchange filters that remove Fluoride. We have done for years since the 80s. We have strong and clear views on things; it’s so simple to us, whilst everyone else is in a state of total acquiescence coupled to an increased selfish predisposition which has manifested as the dominant behaviour.
    Your government only concern is propping up the GDP though over inflated foreign investment in our property market, at the expense of our children. It’s all short termism and self-interest. Time to get militant on their aѕѕ or Good luck, but this country is fu?*ed! Time to look elsewhere! . . . hang on... ahh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    oh dear...
  • Pete9501
    Pete9501 Posts: 427 Forumite
    booksurr wrote: »
    oh dear...

Give nurse a call, his meds aren't working :)
  • 6_6_6 wrote: »

Self-build is mostly a fantasy for all but the most well-heeled of CEOs or those lucky enough to build on there own swaths of free land, since all the smaller plots have now been snapped up circa 5 years ago, whats left is dismal and often passed under the tables of the evil estate agents lest having to deal with the final blow of your typical greed possessed land owner. Our current planning laws are so restrictive they will always render any true hope of countrywide self-build prospects, empowering the people etc , nothing more than a pipe dream. The whole position is perverse.

And people laugh off the subject of Fluoridated water supplies retarding the masses. Funny, I drink filtered water, no not the mold infested joke that is a Britta filter pot, properly maintained CB + Ion exchange filters that remove Fluoride. We have done for years since the 80s. We have strong and clear views on things; it’s so simple to us, whilst everyone else is in a state of total acquiescence coupled to an increased selfish predisposition which has manifested as the dominant behaviour.

What an absolute fruitloop!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport