IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Car leasing with very low miles per year

in Motoring
15 replies 1.3K views
longwalks1longwalks1 Forumite
3.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
Forumite
Does anyone know of any places where you can lease or hire a prestige car for a year/2 years but with very limited mileage? I only do around 2,000 miles a year, but when I do them I would like to do it in a nice car. Are there such schemes/places that do this anywhere please?
Thanks in advance
Kitchen project - Apologies in advance for all the questions! 

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    32.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Cost per mile will be very high.. Large prestige cars lose a lot of money over the first few years.

In the first year the depreciation will be HUGE... 2nd year it will still be very high.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ACGACG Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Im sure most will do it if you ask them to quote on it, but I dont think it makes a huge difference once you get below 6000.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • longwalks1longwalks1 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Cheers people, any recommended companies/websites to try?
    Kitchen project - Apologies in advance for all the questions! 
    32.1K Posts
    Forumite
    lingcars... No you dont need a new PC the site really is supposed to be like that.

• Hire a car as and when you need?
  • Be cheaper to get taxis everywhere?
  • marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My mother was a very low mileage user. I persuaded her to put the running costs (incl depreciation) into a taxi 'jar'. Each year, she only spends about half what's in the kitty, and gives the rest to charity.

Biggest benefit for me is getting her off the road - she was becoming a liability.

Biggest issue for her was the psychology. Being thrifty all her life, she always associated taxis with frivolous spending. The kitty changed all that.
  • HintzaHintza
    19.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hire a car as and when you need?

I'm with this, just hire and/or mix with taxis or even chauffeur drive.
  • Just a suggestion, given your annual mileage, a shrewd outright purchase might be a luxury 2 year old car with high mileage bought cheap, you use it for as long as you want, when you sell the mileage will have averaged out.

Private plate sorts out the new car image if thats a consideration, assuming you buy a current model, if thats also a consideration.

If the car's yours to buy/sell you won't get hit with a massive bill for refurb on resale, as you might well do when returning a lease car.
    32.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Maybe not a 2 year old car.. Something older than that but a bit oddball? A talking piece?

Have a read of the classic car magazines.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals